Writer Ron Clark discusses "Lunar Eclipse" for the Archive of American Television - 11/23/2015

FanofMoonlighting

The episode was really good????????Did he realize how many of us fans he hurt with that piece of crap he wrote??? Glenn was still there????
I wonder what his episode was going to be about before he found out he had to write the ending?
It's such a mystery. Some people say Glenn was still part of the show in Season 5, just not actually on set. Others say he was gone. Some say he was still there. I guess people forget what was really going on. :(

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
Ron Clark's "I think it was pretty good" comment was in reference to how the finale was received, rather than the episode itself. Though with a smile and pleasant nature, he politely and repeatedly distances himself from the finished product in this video. ("I got a lot of help on that last script", "I participated with a lot of people on that", "I wound up with the credit", and "I don't know if I've ever seen it.") And... as much as we may hate it, "Lunar Eclipse" was well received by those who care more about irony and fourth-wall breaking than David and Maddie's relationship.

Contrary to Mr. Clark's recollection that 3 or 4 more episodes were intended to follow his original story, this "7 STRAIGHT WEEKS - No Repeats!" promo for TLTL (and the rest of season 5 - now on Sundays) suggests that only one more episode was planned. (LE aired on week #7 after week #6 was missed.) This is why I have set GGC's "Revelation" about his intent for David and Maddie to end up together on a nebulous "The Seventh Sunday" in the timeline.

I would love to know what Ron Clark's forgotten premise was before it fell victim to Moonlighting's cancellation and missed week #6 (in whichever order those events occurred).

FanofMoonlighting

Ron Clark's "I think it was pretty good" comment was in reference to how the finale was received, rather than the episode itself. Though with a smile and pleasant nature, he politely and repeatedly distances himself from the finished product in this video. ("I got a lot of help on that last script", "I participated with a lot of people on that", "I wound up with the credit", and "I don't know if I've never seen it.") And... as much as we may hate it, "Lunar Eclipse" was well received by those who care more about irony and fourth-wall breaking than David and Maddie's relationship.

Contrary to Mr. Clark's recollection that 3 or 4 more episodes were intended to follow his original story, this "7 STRAIGHT WEEKS - No Repeats!" promo for TLTL (and the rest of season 5 - now on Sundays) suggests that only one more episode was planned. (LE aired on week #7 after week #6 was missed.) This is why I have set GGC's "Revelation" about his intent for David and Maddie to end up together on a nebulous "The Seventh Sunday" in the timeline.

I would love to know what Ron Clark's forgotten premise was before it fell victim to Moonlighting's cancellation and missed week #6 (in whichever order those events occurred).
That is so interesting! I wonder why they said there would be 7 straight weeks with no repeats and then only air for 6 weeks? Were there 7 episodes filmed and one wasn't aired? Or were 7 written and one wasn't even made? Or was the promo wrong for some reason? I wish someone knew more about the ending of the show!

Marlena

This interview is sad really. This man didn't know Maddie and David... who they were... that they were meant to be together in the end. Seems to me that he didn't know the show at all.

I'm not saying I blame him, or that it was his fault. It was just unfortunate timing that the responsibility for writing this final episode landed with someone who didn't seem to know, or care about the characters.

And, Ron Clark is saying that Glenn was there at the end, but it seems like he doesn't remember for sure. When Glenn was interviewed by Grace & Shawna, he seemed to not know much about Season 5 at all.

Last edited:

Marlena

I know it may sound flippant of me to say this, but I don't even think Ron Clark really wrote LE. I think it was thrown together at the last minute by writers who knew they were not doing right by Maddie & David, and didn't want their names attached to it. So, they gave Ron Clark the credit. He seems clueless about the show, so how is it possible that he would be writing a segment of the ongoing Annie arc?

I think whatever his initial premise was... was probably a "stand-alone" episode with a client and a case. He doesn't even remember what it was about. I bet that script was never even written.

Sorry if I sound like I'm getting all worked up, but this show just deserved a better finale than what we got, and seeing this man smile and laugh like everything turned out wonderful in the end just makes me... very unhappy. 😝

FanofMoonlighting

I know it may sound flippant of me to say this, but I don't even think Ron Clark really wrote LE. I think it was thrown together at the last minute by writers who knew they were not doing right by Maddie & David, and didn't want their names attached to it. So, they gave Ron Clark the credit. He seems clueless about the show, so how is it possible that he would be writing a segment of the ongoing Annie arc?

I think whatever his initial premise was... was probably a "stand-alone" episode with a client and a case. He doesn't even remember what it was about. I bet that script was never even written.

Sorry if I sound like I'm getting all worked up, but this show just deserved a better finale than what we got, and seeing this man smile and laugh like everything turned out wonderful in the end just makes me... very unhappy. 😝
I agree. He doesn't really seem too invested in the ongoing story, although he did say he watched a few episodes. But he does sound like he had a lot of input from other writers for the end of the show. Whether or not he was actually planning to write part of the Annie arc, who knows. That last episode does seem like it was 2 different episodes stuck together. The beginning seems like it was written by one person and the end by someone else. The beginning seemed like maybe they were going to finally bring Maddie and David together and it was more serious than the end. It was like they were starting to finally wrap up the Annie storyline and then found out they didn't have anymore time and needed to end the show somehow. But it also seems like they got other people to write that crazy ending. I'd still like to know why they picked that way to end the show and the story of David and Maddie. Seemed almost like whoever did that was mad at them the way they were blamed for what happened to the relationship and the ending of the show. Of course it probably didn't help if Bruce was supposed to say something nice and refused. :(

MoonlightingMagic

This interview is sad really. This man didn't know Maddie and David... who they were... that they were meant to be together in the end. Seems to me that he didn't know the show at all.

I'm not saying I blame him, or that it was his fault. It was just unfortunate timing that the responsibility for writing this final episode landed with someone who didn't seem to know, or care about the characters.

And, Ron Clark is saying that Glenn was there at the end, but it seems like he doesn't remember for sure. When Glenn was interviewed by Grace & Shawna, he seemed to not know much about Season 5 at all.
Agree!!!!!

Davidsmaddie

Okay I am so late to this conversation I know, but I just want to understand. There was supposed to be resolution in another Sunday but there wasn’t one. Is there a lost episode out there? There is no way one exists…

That would have come out wouldn’t it?

How did this guy get the job to write this episode? Who was left of the OG writers in the end? Reno? Osborne? Eglee? Frank? Hall? Couldn’t they have been like “Um…. this sucks. Maddie and David need a happy ever after…”
I guess we will never know.

Marlena

Okay I am so late to this conversation I know, but I just want to understand. There was supposed to be resolution in another Sunday but there wasn’t one. Is there a lost episode out there? There is no way one exists…

That would have come out wouldn’t it?

How did this guy get the job to write this episode? Who was left of the OG writers in the end? Reno? Osborne? Eglee? Frank? Hall? Couldn’t they have been like “Um…. this sucks. Maddie and David need a happy ever after…”
I guess we will never know.
Unfortunately, Dana, I think you're right. We will never know. Scott Ryan's book hardly touches upon Season 5. It's like nobody involved with that season wants to talk about it. When I watch this interview with Ron Clark, it just annoys me so much. I think there should be a rule in Hollywood that says, "If you don't care about this show and what happens to its characters, then you will not be hired to work on this show." Like, that should've been a job requirement, right? That you have to care about Maddie and David if you are going to be a writer on Moonlighting. Glenn cared about them so much, and it showed. When he left, there was no more heart.

Davidsmaddie

Yeah it seems Ike season 5 is a big hot potato.

I think the only one who might have a record of it would be Jay Daniel. You can tell in the commentary he took copious notes. He might have been on Roseanne by then already, but he was still the executive producer. If the podcast ladies every talk to him, this would be a great line of questioning.

Annie and LE. WTF??

PS Marlena your season 5 deep dive is healing me from the “car accident” that is 5th season!
( I did always like that line but hated he applied it to their relationship. )

MoonlightingMagic

Yeah it seems Ike season 5 is a big hot potato.

I think the only one who might have a record of it would be Jay Daniel. You can tell in the commentary he took copious notes. He might have been on Roseanne by then already, but he was still the executive producer. If the podcast ladies every talk to him, this would be a great line of questioning.

Annie and LE. WTF??

PS Marlena your season 5 deep dive is healing me from the “car accident” that is 5th season!
( I did always like that line but hated he applied it to their relationship. )
Click here to read our own Moonlighting Maven's interview with Jay Daniels. Maybe she can shed some light on issues she didn't print?

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
This "7 STRAIGHT WEEKS - No Repeats!" promo for TLTL (and the rest of season 5 - now on Sundays) suggests that only one more episode was planned. (LE aired on week #7 after week #6 was missed.)
Based on things I have read over the years from people in and out of the know, here is my GUESS at to what was intended when the "7 STRAIGHT WEEKS - No Repeats!" promo ran:
  1. Those Lips, Those Lies
  2. In 'N Outlaws
  3. Ron Clark episode (with his original, standard episode premise)
  4. When Girls Collide
  5. Eine Kleine Nacht Murder
  6. Annie Arc resolution/Bert and Agnes wedding (ends at the police station, with Maddie and David comparing B&A's relationship to their own, or "talking it to death")
  7. Perfetc
Plans to end the series with "Perfetc" and someday reunite David and Maddie in a one-off TV movie in Paris (which might lead to others; no one could have believed a season 6 was going to happen) are squashed just after the "7 weeks" promo airs, when BW insists he will never return and strongly suggests a finale that truly spells out THE END.

Everyone has had enough at this point, and it is decided to end the show after 6 Sunday episodes, rather than the promised 7. Both the already-filmed INO (Bert and Agnes episodes were filmed over the holidays when BW and CS were unavailable) and work-in-progress Ron Clark episode are delayed to instead air "Perfetc" ASAP, get the Paris reference out of the way, and jump straight into the Annie Arc. After WGC airs, someone realizes that airing INO after the Annie Arc would not only create a continuity error with Bert and Agnes' relationship, but also (now that there will be no seventh Sunday episode) end ML with a B&A episode. INO is therefore shoe-horned in mid-Annie Arc before EKNM.

The last few minutes of the Annie Arc resolution/Bert and Agnes wedding episode, where Maddie and David would have compared B&A's relationship to their own at the police station (or "talked it to death", as he calls it in "Perfetc") are replaced by the "we got cancelled" segment, and Ron Clark is given the writing credit to keep him happy and hide everyone else's shame.

This is 100% speculation, of course. Jay Daniel should really publish his notes.

FanofMoonlighting

Based on things I have read over the years from people in and out of the know, here is my GUESS at to what was intended when the "7 STRAIGHT WEEKS - No Repeats!" promo ran:
  2. In 'N Outlaws
  4. When Girls Collide
  6. Annie Arc resolution/Bert and Agnes wedding (ends at the police station, with Maddie and David comparing B&A's relationship to their own, or "talking it to death")
  7. Perfetc
Plans to end the series with "Perfetc" and someday reunite David and Maddie in a one-off TV movie in Paris (which might lead to others; no one could have believed a season 6 was going to happen) are squashed just after the "7 weeks" promo airs, when BW insists he will never return and strongly suggests a finale that truly spells out THE END.

Everyone has had enough at this point, and it is decided to end the show after 6 Sunday episodes, rather than the promised 7. Both the already-filmed INO (Bert and Agnes episodes were filmed over the holidays when BW and CS were unavailable) and work-in-progress Ron Clark episode are delayed to instead air "Perfetc" ASAP, get the Paris reference out of the way, and jump straight into the Annie Arc. After WGC airs, someone realizes that airing INO after the Annie Arc would not only create a continuity error with Bert and Agnes' relationship, but also (now that there will be no seventh Sunday episode) end ML with a B&A episode. INO is therefore shoe-horned in mid-Annie Arc before EKNM.

The last few minutes of the Annie Arc resolution/Bert and Agnes wedding episode, where Maddie and David would have compared B&A's relationship to their own at the police station (or "talked it to death", as he calls it in "Perfetc") are replaced by the "we got cancelled" segment, and Ron Clark is given the writing credit to keep him happy and hide everyone else's shame.

This is 100% speculation, of course. Jay Daniel should really publish his notes.
I know you say this is speculation, but I'm curious if Bruce actually did say he would never return and wanted a true finale. Just wondering if you read that somewhere.

Marlena

2. In 'N Outlaws
  4. When Girls Collide
  7. Perfetc

Just reading this has my head spinning. I can only imagine how everyone involved with the show must have felt during that time. It must have felt like a tornado blew through.

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
I know you say this is speculation, but I'm curious if Bruce actually did say he would never return and wanted a true finale. Just wondering if you read that somewhere.
My "BW insists he will never return" comment is based on his "no more TV" declaration at the end of this clip and his telling Arsenio Hall here that he didn't think he would ever work with CS again.

As for his wanting "a finale that truly spells out THE END", that is pure speculation. We know he at least impacted the way the final scene played out, and this wouldn't be the first time an actor who truly wanted out of something influenced (or tried to influence) the broader course of a story.