Why did they make Maddie so frumpy looking in S5?

alice1804

I have been watching ML lately and I noticed how much Maddie's looks changed during the show, especially in season 5. In the earlier seasons her hair, makeup and outfits were great and made her look really beautiful. Her hair was a bit of a mess in season 5 and she was wearing much less makeup, but most of all her outfits became really frumpy in season 4-5. I understand Cybill was pregnant in season 4 and maybe that played a role in choosing her outfits but what about season 5? Why did they put her in such ugly outfits? Was it to show that the Maddie character had loosened up a bit and wasn't as concerned about looking perfect all the time?

Marlena

I agree with you about this, Alice. I did not care for Maddie's hair style in Season 5. I was a teen in the 80's so I don't know if the clothing she was wearing might've been considered fashionable business attire for women at the time.

One of the things that I find interesting is that the actress they cast to play Annie (Virginia Madsen) was 11 years younger than Cybill. The two characters talked about being "friends" and acted like they were very close to each other, so I can only assume we were supposed to think the characters were close in age. But by casting a woman who was 28 years old and putting her next to Cybill, who was 39 at the time, then of course Cybill is going to look older, more matronly.

I don't know, but I think it was done on purpose to make her not look good towards the end of the series. Either that, or she was tired and miserable, and it showed. But yeah, the outfits were frumpy, not all of them, but definitely some of them. She looked great when she did Chances Are, Texasville, and the TV movies she did after Moonlighting. She looked great in 1995 when she turned 45 and started "Cybill".

Last edited:

FanofMoonlighting

I have been watching ML lately and I noticed how much Maddie's looks changed during the show, especially in season 5. In the earlier seasons her hair, makeup and outfits were great and made her look really beautiful. Her hair was a bit of a mess in season 5 and she was wearing much less makeup, but most of all her outfits became really frumpy in season 4-5. I understand Cybill was pregnant in season 4 and maybe that played a role in choosing her outfits but what about season 5? Why did they put her in such ugly outfits? Was it to show that the Maddie character had loosened up a bit and wasn't as concerned about looking perfect all the time?
I don't know why exactly, but maybe it had something to do with Cybill having just been pregnant with twins. Maybe her body wasn't back to "normal" and she was trying to hide the extra weight. I could be totally wrong though. It could also have just been the style then. As far as her hair, I just think 80's hair was pretty bad so maybe she was following a fashion trend. Perms were pretty popular then. I think her hair looked better than some people I remember, including me. :) Also, I don't really think she looked that bad in Season 5, but that's just me.

Marlena

I agree with Marlena. She looked beautiful in Chances Are and that was right after Moonlighting ended. She actually aged very well.
Plus, she had to have filmed it during or just before Season 5. Her hair was gorgeous in Chances Are. Wish she'd kept it like that for Season 5.

FanofMoonlighting

Never mind what I said. Somehow I forgot about the movie Chances Are and that it was made sometime during Season 5. She did look great in that movie, so she certainly didn't need to wear baggy clothes to cover her body on Moonlighting.

Sandra

I sometimes think that they did it on purpose. Sure, Cybill had just delivered twin babies, but that's no reason to stick her in those granny pantyhose (I think that's what you call those) like they did in Those lips, those lies. She wasn't old, she was still gorgeous, so the only conclusion that I can come to is that they meant to make her look that way as opposed to 'fun' David. Sad, really.

MoonlightingMagic

I agree with you about this, Alice. I did not care for Maddie's hair style in Season 5. I was a teen in the 80's so I don't know if the clothing she was wearing might've been considered fashionable business attire for women at the time.

One of the things that I find interesting is that the actress they cast to play Annie (Virginia Madsen) was 11 years younger than Cybill. The two characters talked about being "friends" and acted like they were very close to each other, so I can only assume we were supposed to think the characters were close in age. But by casting a woman who was 28 years old and putting her next to Cybill, who was 39 at the time, then of course Cybill is going to look older, more matronly.

I don't know, but I think it was done on purpose to make her not look good towards the end of the series. Either that, or she was tired and miserable, and it showed. But yeah, the outfits were frumpy, not all of them, but definitely some of them. She looked great when she did Chances Are, Texasville, and the TV movies she did after Moonlighting. She looked great in 1995 when she turned 45 and started "Cybill".
I agree that it was done on purpose! Grrrr

MoonlightingMagic

I sometimes think that they did it on purpose. Sure, Cybill had just delivered twin babies, but that's no reason to stick her in those granny pantyhose (I think that's what you call those) like they did in Those lips, those lies. She wasn't old, she was still gorgeous, so the only conclusion that I can come to is that they meant to make her look that way as opposed to 'fun' David. Sad, really.
OMG I cringe when I see that scene!!!!!

MoonlightingMagic

I wish I could find the recording but shortly after Moonlighting Bruce did a radio interview with Howard Stern - it was not my favorite interview with Bruce - he and Howard bashed Cybill's season 5 looks and they even talked dirty about Demi. Maybe Bruce was high or just his usual a-hole self!

alice1804

I wish I could find the recording but shortly after Moonlighting Bruce did a radio interview with Howard Stern - it was not my favorite interview with Bruce - he and Howard bashed Cybill's season 5 looks and they even talked dirty about Demi. Maybe Bruce was high or just his usual a-hole self!
That's too bad that they were bashing her looks. I have heard that Bruce complained a lot about her hair and makeup, especially her hair. I don't know what his problem was, he seemed obsessed with her looks. 😐

Marlena

This really makes me angry. I searched for the interview, but couldn't find it. Besides, it shouldn't have mattered what Bruce thought of her looks, as long as David thought she looked good. That's all that mattered. ;)