Things that made it past the censorship

Sandra

I love David's sense of humor, and that humor often entailed a lot of innuendo. Incredible how things were twisted around in such a way that Moonlighting rarely dealt with any censorship. If kids watched it, they didn't understand it. But we sure did, hahaha! My favorite line, which definitely made it past the censorship, was:

"This is the last time I jam myself into a tight hole with clothes on."

I was on the floor laughing after this one.

What was your favorite line/quote/moment that was a bit risqué?

northernlight

"We should see more of each other... Then all of each other." - The Dream Sequence Always Rings Twice. I also love the one in The Next Murder You Hear, when David's in the bar, talking to no one in particular, where he says that, deep down, he's an old fashioned guy, that he was, "in this bar the other night and three chicks started hitting on me all at once. I said, "Girls, we got a problem here! I'm an old fashioned guy; one of you girls is gonna have to leave..."

I think the pace of the show was so fast, the banter so rapid, that you often thought, Did he actually say that? (and it usually was David) It was probably easy to get past the censor that way. The one Sandra mentions, I didn't even notice the first time around.

northernlight

How about in TMMFE when they get into hearse and Maddie says “I thought the first time I’d be in one of these, I’d be on my back” and David replies, “Don’t tempt me.” lol
And how about, "Maddie, the man is my father; the man who taught me about shaving; about women; about shaving women." And let's not forget those maracas gags in the same episode...

FanofMoonlighting

There is a post on the Facebook page like this. Someone mentioned the line about Maddie saying she'd love a pearl necklace and David says she'd look good in a pearl necklace. I didn't know it meant anything sexual but it turns out it does!😳
Also, one of my favorites that I just noticed recently, in the Poltergeist episode, at the end David says "I hope you two know you have a tongue-lashing coming. Now, I volunteered to take your place. I was even willing to shower, but she wouldn't have it." :LOL:

MoonlightingMagic

There is a post on the Facebook page like this. Someone mentioned the line about Maddie saying she'd love a pearl necklace and David says she'd look good in a pearl necklace. I didn't know it meant anything sexual but it turns out it does!😳
Also, one of my favorites that I just noticed recently, in the Poltergeist episode, at the end David says "I hope you two know you have a tongue-lashing coming. Now, I volunteered to take your place. I was even willing to shower, but she wouldn't have it." :LOL:
It was me. Bet she wore a lot of pearl necklaces during their month together lmaooo

Marlena

How 'bout in All Creatures Great And... Not So Great, when David falls backward onto Maddie, and he says, "Right attitude, wrong position." And then they get knocked down again, and he says, "We gotta get one of those illustrated manuals."

This one went right over my head when I was watching as a kid.

Sandra

Speaking of censorship... don't we just live in completely different times now when you look back at the eighties and compare it to the present?
David Addison would never even get a job with his credentials, seeing as how you now need a degree for just about everything. Today's world would force him back into school. Wouldn't that just go down without a hitch, lol.

As for the censorship; his crude jokes would land him a sexual harassment suit for sure. God, David Addison would be extinct today ;) I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that...

Last edited:

FanofMoonlighting

Speaking of censorship... don't we just live in completely different times now when you look back at the eighties and compare it to the present?
David Addison would never even get a job with his credentials, seeing as how you now need a degree for just about everything. Today's world would force him back into school. Wouldn't that just go down without a hitch, lol.

As for the censorship; his crude jokes would land him a sexual harrassment suit for sure. God, David Addison would be extinct today ;) I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that...
I wonder about that too. Would a show like this work today? I'm sure some people hate the show because of the things David says to Maddie and how she hits him and yells at him all the time. I'm torn about that sometimes. But then I remember its just a show and fictional characters. Its like the old James Bond movies where he's slapping women on the butt. Actually, I think that's worse. At least David keeps his hands off Maddie, unless she wants him to touch her. And they did that whole episode on sexual harassment, where Maddie says David wasn't sexually harassing her. I wonder if they did that because maybe some people were complaining about his treatment of her. I was more bothered by David practicing kissing the other women in the office, that was sexual harassment (unless they were given a choice, but we aren't told that). That scene was weird to me.

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
As for the censorship; his crude jokes would land him a sexual harrassment suit for sure. God, David Addison would be extinct today ;) I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that...
Meanwhile, nearly everything on prime time network TV today, which is far more explicit in terms of sex and violence than its 1980s equivalent, would continue to get pass... as long as its "PC."

I agree with FanofMoonlighting that the kissing scene in TMWFE is disturbing.