The Eighties

Sandra

This was inspired by a game I played a few days ago. I was asked the question: "If there was one thing you could have back from the past, what would it be?"

Now, I turned this question around to fit our Moonlighting universe. So here's my take on it: "What would you like to return all the way from the Eighties and what are you dying to forget about that era?" (you can't anwer "Moonlighting", because that's too easy). I'll go first.

What I miss from the Eighties (I was very young, so you have to cut me some slack if I mess up 😜): Spending more time outside than inside the house!!

What I don't miss.... shoulder pads!!! Egads!!! Burn those... now!!!

Your turn!

Marlena

I miss 80's music (though of course we can still listen to it today... thankfully) and roller skating. Or more importantly, roller skating to 80's music!

My other favorite 80's show... Growing Pains with Kirk Cameron, who I adored back in the day. Had his posters all over my bedroom walls. Unfortunately, today... I think he's a little nuts.

Oh, and I loved those metal lunchboxes. Maybe that was late 70's/early 80's. I think my favorite was Strawberry Shortcake.

My Atari video game system... I loved that, too! Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Pitfall, Frogger...

I could go on and on, but I'll stop now...

FanofMoonlighting

I was just a kid in the 80's so I just miss the innocence of my life and the times. No cell phones or the internet to distract us every second. Then again sometimes those things are very good and useful. I actually miss the way you had to wait to watch a new show, nowadays my kids expect to be able to see whatever show they want whenever they want and are very impatient about it.
What I don't miss is the big hair. I hated that!

Quest

The music was phenomenal. Loved the tv shows, too, though when you watch some of them today, the background music left a lot to be desired. Lol

I did not like the shoulder pads that made the person look like they were ready to take flight, but minimal padding was ok. I did enjoy wearing platform shoes as I was so much taller.

Some great movies came out in 80’s, too - Dirty Dancing, When Harry Met Sally, Top Gun and Dangerous Liaisons to name just a few.

Life in general seemed a lot simpler, less hectic without cell phones ringing and texting. People actually had conversations face to face. Such a novel idea. Lol

Truth be told, I liked that decade much better than today.

UnderMoonlight

I was born in 1991 so I sadly just missed out on the 80s. (such a shame)

But I really wished I could have experienced it. I can only go on tv of the time as a reference. Moonlighting being a main one...
Here are some things I like:

The fashion. I know there were many styles at the time like there are now a days, but the mainstream fashion seemed to be smart? Men wore suits and shirts. Ladies wore more dresses or matching blouses and skirts? I like that idea. I always have, its why when I was young and after seeing shows like Moonlighting and Lois and Clark, I wanted to work in an office because I wanted to dress smart and professional. 😀

The whole not having technology so readily available. Yes we are lucky to have information at our finger tips etc. However, I miss this aspect from the 90s and so Im sure it was even more prominent in the 80s. Like someone else mentioned, we went outside more. Spent more time experiencing nature. And using the imagination to come up with things to play etc. Some of my favourite childhood memories are with the local kids and playing on the field on a summers day.
(I live in England, and anyone who lives here also knows just how much our seasons have changed. We dont get warm Springs and long Summers anymore or dry cold Winters with lots of snow. I miss that alot!)

And I suppose I miss the respect people had for each other. Again, not something I can be 100% sure on, but in the 90s and early 2000s, I remember people having more respect for others. I think its alot to do with social media these days and the whole sharing everything online. It makes people have a false sense of security and therefore are more likely to say what they think when they think it. Things people were less likely to say back in the 80s and 90s to a persons face.

Sandra

Lucy, I was born in 1983, so I don't consciously remember anything about the Eighties until about 1988 ;) What I do remember is things being so much more simple. You would think that all that technology makes life easier for people. It doesn't. With all this luxury available, people are more estranged from each other than ever.

I'm gonna be weird. But you know what I miss? Those pink message notes. I know it's hard for our younger members to comprehend, but life without cell phones was...fine. If you wanted to call someone, you picked up the phone, and called, and hoped they answered. And if someone else answered the phone and they weren't available, you left them a message. "NJJ called." Sometimes they left the time, too.

I miss that simplicity.

UnderMoonlight

Lucy, I was born in 1983, so I don't consciously remember anything about the Eighties until about 1988 ;) What I do remember is things being so much more simple. You would think that all that technology makes life easier for people. It doesn't. With all this luxury available, people are more estranged from each other than ever.
I can fully believe that. I feel life these days is just to fast paced. The 80s looks more chill. :)