Terri Knowles and Walter Bishop

Marlena

In ATFWMW, Terri tells David that Walter Bishop has been calling her. The implication seems to be that Walter is interested in her romantically. I'm curious what you all think about that. Would Terri have really been interested in Walter? Do you think she would've thought he was creepy (pursuing another woman with a baby right after his annulment)? Do you think they could have had a relationship?

Last edited:
In ATFWMW, Terri tells David that Walter Bishop has been calling her. The implication seems to be that Walter is interested in her romantically. I'm curious what you all think about that. Would Terri have really been interested in Walter? Do you think she would've thought he was creepy (pursuing another woman with a baby right after his annulment)? Do you think they could have had a relationship?
I've thought about that too. It's weird for Walter to get together with a woman who has just had a baby, straight after his annulment. It's like he's desperate to have a family of any kind.

It was kind of cute to think of them getting a happy ending since they both kind of got swept into David and Maddie’s whirlwind. I don’t think it was very realistic that they would end up together though. Terri was super independent and I don’t see what was so remarkable about Walter that would make her want to couple up with him. Someone who would fall for a “David” (like Terri and Maddie) wouldn’t be happy with a “Walter”. He didn’t really bring anything special to the table and Terri isn’t someone who would settle just to be in a relationship.

It was kind of cute to think of them getting a happy ending since they both kind of got swept into David and Maddie’s whirlwind. I don’t think it was very realistic that they would end up together though. Terri was super independent and I don’t see what was so remarkable about Walter that would make her want to couple up with him. Someone who would fall for a “David” (like Terri and Maddie) wouldn’t be happy with a “Walter”. He didn’t really bring anything special to the table and Terri isn’t someone who would settle just to be in a relationship.
I agree with you, BlueMoon. Terri was an intelligent woman, who I'm sure, would have seen some red flags go up if Walter really started to pursue her.

The reason why I brought this topic up is because in a Season 5 background story that I'm currently writing, there is a scene where David is talking to Terri. My first inclination was to have her mention something about Walter... like in a way that would've meant he was still involved in her personal life several months after her baby was born. I realized I always thought that to be the case because of the way she tells David in ATFWMW that Walter had been calling her. But then I started to think... that's silly... Terri would not have really gotten involved with Walter, would she?

So I figured I'd put it out here for discussion.

I agree with you, BlueMoon. Terri was an intelligent woman, who I'm sure, would have seen some red flags go up if Walter really started to pursue her.

The reason why I brought this topic up is because in a Season 5 background story that I'm currently writing, there is a scene where David is talking to Terri. My first inclination was to have her mention something about Walter... like in a way that would've meant he was still involved in her personal life several months after her baby was born. I realized I always thought that to be the case because of the way she tells David in ATFWMW that Walter had been calling her. But then I started to think... that's silly... Terri would not have really gotten involved with Walter, would she?

So I figured I'd put it out here for discussion.
Nice angle, Marlena! Why not let Walter be her friend for the time being, and happy to be involved with a little baby? Maybe after some time when they get to know each other better they could develop feelings for each other. I would want Walter to have some self-awareness, after the circus with Maddie, not to rush into a new relationship (I kind of like Walter).

Like Luke, Leia, and Han all ending up family at the end of Star Wars' Original Trilogy, Terry and Walter getting together (and ultimately becoming a family in Virtual Moonlighting) is just so sweet that I look past its surface-level improbability. I even referred to it in my season 5-set story "Party's Over" as follows: "Terri, Walter, and her baby were developing a remarkably healthy family dynamic of their own that David always felt foolish for intruding upon..."

I can see Terri and Walter spending the post-MHGM weekend in the hospital bonding over her baby... not to mention having much to talk about concerning the madness of David and Maddie. While new-mother Terri might be logically tentative about getting involved with Walter, they might have "just clicked" so well that weekend that it gave Walter one more reason to hurriedly annul his marriage to Maddie. I can see T&W's relationship growing slowly and cautiously off-screen during ML's season 5 - probably mostly over the phone - until their ending up together becomes a natural and forgone conclusion.

Plus, how can you not just LOVE the dinner-table moment this all leads up to in Danielle's wonderful VM episode, "A Christmas Story"?

And it’s nice to meet Walter and Terri,” Virginia added. “Now… how do you two know Maddie and David?”

It was an unintentionally loaded question, to which everyone, parents aside, knew the answer. But how would anyone explain it, and who would dare to try?

Okay, so the general consensus here seems to be that Terri eventually starts to give Walter a chance and they get together. My story really has nothing to do with T & W, but David does have a quick conversation with her, so I will stick with keeping in the original line I wrote that implies she is involved with Walter.

Thanks guys!

I agree with Ryan! I think they could have developed a relationship, slowly at first. Walter may not be exciting like David but he seemed like a nice guy. Although, he did rush into his marriage with Maddie, so he was kind of strange too. I always thought it was weird that he'd propose to her knowing her situation with the baby and David. So the idea of him trying to pursue Terri so soon after she gave birth isn't really that unbelievable. But I like to think they had a nice relationship, built up slowly.

I suppose Walter is a NSM, but one who is a bit socially awkward. Maddie was desperate to put a wall up between her and David, so she overlooked his awkwardness and could just see that he was a NSM. Terri probably would've done the same.

Okay, so the general consensus here seems to be that Terri eventually starts to give Walter a chance and they get together. My story really has nothing to do with T & W, but David does have a quick conversation with her, so I will stick with keeping in the original line I wrote that implies she is involved with Walter.

Thanks guys!
I don't see Terri as desperate. I quite admire her as a strong woman. I would hope that if she did get into a relationship with Walter, it was from a mutual respect and attraction.

I don't see Terri as desperate. I quite admire her as a strong woman. I would hope that if she did get into a relationship with Walter, it was from a mutual respect and attraction.
Oh I agree, I don't see Terri as desperate either. I just meant that, like Maddie, Terri could look past his awkwardness and see that he was a good, kind man.

Walter delivered the baby, didn't he? So that alone might give him reason to contact her and see how mother and child are doing. It doesn't have to be a romantic interest, although she does seem to imply that. It does seem like a bit of a strange fetish, though - he married a stranger who was about to give birth any time and then latches onto another woman who gives birth before his very eyes, all this in a matter of days. The whole thing was surreal, though. I didn't like that arc any more than I liked the Charnock Woman arc later.

Walter delivered the baby, didn't he? So that alone might give him reason to contact her and see how mother and child are doing. It doesn't have to be a romantic interest, although she does seem to imply that. It does seem like a bit of a strange fetish, though - he married a stranger who was about to give birth any time and then latches onto another woman who gives birth before his very eyes, all this in a matter of days. The whole thing was surreal, though. I didn't like that arc any more than I liked the Charnock Woman arc later.
Yes the idea that he would pursue another woman immediately after Maddie is weird, but then the whole arc is anyway 🤷

Back