Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 3-Fine. Fine. Good. Good.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-One for the So-So Corral

• 1-Not So Great

• Total voters
Great story Marlena! A little frustrating though with David being delayed, but sometimes Moonlighting was frustrating wasn't it? I like the ending though! :)

I am not completely unbiased when it comes to this story, but I could not be happier with what Marlena has produced here. Beyond the expected fanfiction ruminations on the state of David and Maddie's relationship at a particular moment, this one puts forth an actual plotline that I would LOVE to have seen on TV back in the day.

Fans tend to scratch their heads about where D&M's "relationship" was throughout season 5, but there was a definite shift in the wind between TCOM (wherein they actually discussed their feelings openly and constructively and Maddie accepted the idea of spending an evening with David not once but twice!) and PFL (where the hesitation and/or outright rejections began). It was pretty much all downhill from there, and Marlena's season 5 backstory has been posted here for some time, doing a wonderful job providing insight as to where Maddie's and David's heads were throughout this descent.

"Rita and Weep" begins what Marlena has suggested will be a trio of stories offering one more clue as to what might have sparked the decline, and the title makes clear that this explanation is not being pulled from thin air. An event from season 4 that, like so much else, was essentially swept under the rug by season 5, is now allowed to begin paying off. It's not what David or Maddie or anyone else wanted to happen, but it just goes to show that actions and honesty (or a lack thereof) can come back to haunt you and have consequences far more often that not.

Above and beyond all that, I simply love that "Rita and Weep" has a story to tell. Not only does it open a window into the elusive season 5 time period in which David and Maddie were romantically inclined, but it also offers up a "case" I wish could have been worked as written here by a late-1980s Bruce Willis. To have him shine entirely on his own as a detective (without Maddie or Bert assisting) while carrying the burden of his past indiscretion and also racing the clock would have been wonderful to see on screen. BW could have worked such wonders with it, and to be able to vividly imagine that while reading this story is nearly as wonderful... second only to such an impossible dream coming true.

If you ever wondered where the David Addison of season 4 was during season 5, you can happily find him here. And if you never understood why the Maddie Hayes of ATFWMW disappeared after TCOM, "Rita and Weep" sets the stage for an Original Series-based explanation that looks likely to unfold in Marlena's next two stories. I can't wait!

Great story Marlena! A little frustrating though with David being delayed, but sometimes Moonlighting was frustrating wasn't it? I like the ending though! :)
Hi Judy! Moonlighting was definitely frustrating at times, yes. And I'm sure that was intentional on the part of the writers. I'm just attempting to do the same with my stories. Thanks for reading... and I'm glad you liked the ending!

I am not completely unbiased when it comes to this story, but I could not be happier with what Marlena has produced here. Beyond the expected fanfiction ruminations on the state of David and Maddie's relationship at a particular moment, this one puts forth an actual plotline that I would LOVE to have seen on TV back in the day.

Fans tend to scratch their heads about where D&M's "relationship" was throughout season 5, but there was a definite shift in the wind between TCOM (wherein they actually discussed their feelings openly and constructively and Maddie accepted the idea of spending an evening with David not once but twice!) and PFL (where the hesitation and/or outright rejections began). It was pretty much all downhill from there, and Marlena's season 5 backstory has been posted here for some time, doing a wonderful job providing insight as to where Maddie's and David's heads were throughout this descent.

"Rita and Weep" begins what Marlena has suggested will be a trio of stories offering one more clue as to what might have sparked the decline, and the title makes clear that this explanation is not being pulled from thin air. An event from season 4 that, like so much else, was essentially swept under the rug by season 5, is now allowed to begin paying off. It's not what David or Maddie or anyone else wanted to happen, but it just goes to show that actions and honesty (or a lack thereof) can come back to haunt you and have consequences far more often that not.

Above and beyond all that, I simply love that "Rita and Weep" has a story to tell. Not only does it open a window into the elusive season 5 time period in which David and Maddie were romantically inclined, but it also offers up a "case" I wish could have been worked as written here by a late-1980s Bruce Willis. To have him shine entirely on his own as a detective (without Maddie or Bert assisting) while carrying the burden of his past indiscretion and also racing the clock would have been wonderful to see on screen. BW could have worked such wonders with it, and to be able to vividly imagine that while reading this story is nearly as wonderful... second only to such an impossible dream coming true.

If you ever wondered where the David Addison of season 4 was during season 5, you can happily find him here. And if you never understood why the Maddie Hayes of ATFWMW disappeared after TCOM, "Rita and Weep" sets the stage for an Original Series-based explanation that looks likely to unfold in Marlena's next two stories. I can't wait!
Thank you, Ryan, for the amazing story concept and title, and for your review.

I love writing about this time period between TCOM and PFL for the following reasons:

1) It takes place during the holidays!
2) David still loves Maddie and he's trying so hard to make her see that he can be the right man for her.
3) Even after labeling their relationship as "pals", Maddie tells David they are on the middle rung on the ladder, and she doesn't see any way off. She still loves him.
4) It's a time when they are beginning to really acknowledge their own insecurities, and like you mentioned, they are talking about it. For Maddie, it's starting to wonder if she can really be what David needs, or what she thinks he needs. For David, it's wondering if Maddie will ever be able to really let him in, to have faith in him.
5) They are headed towards that slippery slope. There's lots of angst ahead as we know, but first, maybe a good night... no, perhaps a great night... at that California Investigators Association Annual Banquet & Ball.

Marlena another great job! I love how you write these two with the perfect amount of tenderness and angst. It’s a perfect tone.

I also love that you write Maddie “softer” than the real show did in the fifth season. We needed to see some of her gentler side with David. Like she wanted to give him a chance and she was on his side.

I like that they both “agree” that they are on this ladder somewhere and it’s okay to be kind of ambiguous. To let it heal on its own. I would have been okay with that. I just needed to know they still loved each other and were okay with that.

Anyway I’m rambling. I love the tone you set! Nice job and keep them coming!

What a treat; it’s like getting a whole new episode! You really captured David: optimistic, romantic, curious, generous, and a little unlucky. His note to Maddie was so sweet. I really like where you have them in their relationship here. The case was fun and adventurous as well. Everything tied together so nicely! You’ve added so much depth to season 5 through your stories. We are lucky to have them!

Marlena another great job! I love how you write these two with the perfect amount of tenderness and angst. It’s a perfect tone.

I also love that you write Maddie “softer” than the real show did in the fifth season. We needed to see some of her gentler side with David. Like she wanted to give him a chance and she was on his side.

I like that they both “agree” that they are on this ladder somewhere and it’s okay to be kind of ambiguous. To let it heal on its own. I would have been okay with that. I just needed to know they still loved each other and were okay with that.

Anyway I’m rambling. I love the tone you set! Nice job and keep them coming!
Thanks for reading, Danielle, and for your kind words! Always appreciated!! 😀

What a treat; it’s like getting a whole new episode! You really captured David: optimistic, romantic, curious, generous, and a little unlucky. His note to Maddie was so sweet. I really like where you have them in their relationship here. The case was fun and adventurous as well. Everything tied together so nicely! You’ve added so much depth to season 5 through your stories. We are lucky to have them!
Hi BlueMoon, thanks for your review here, as well as the one over on fanfiction.net. I really tried to write this one to be like an actual episode. I wanted it to have what felt like a comical chase scene at the end like so many episodes had, and I think I achieved that (I hope, anyway). And I wanted to write David going through the process of solving the case, while also thinking about Maddie and how his actions would affect her. And, of course, it had to have some sexy, romantic stuff, too. That's what we all tune in for 😉.

Back