Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-Fine. Fine. Good. Good.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-One for the So-So Corral

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 1-Not So Great

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
I've been going through the whole series with my kids and we are up to this show. I rewatched it to make sure there wasn't anything they couldn't see since they are still pretty young. Now they aren't sure they even want to see it. They are sad that the show is coming to an end. And I am sad because I watched this episode again for possibly no reason.

But I'll start with the few good things in this one. One is that David broke up with Annie. I rated this episode a 2 just because it was the end of their relationship. If the show had ended with him staying with Annie I would have been so much more upset and angry. Also, it did end with Dave and Maddie holding hands. And it had a few nice, funny bits with Bert and Agnes.

The rest was pretty depressing. I still think if David had said something nice in response to what Maddie said, and they had shared a real hug and kiss, the show and series could have been redeemed. They didn't have to get married or have kids or move in together. Just give the viewers something nice and hopeful to end the show. I also didn't like how Cy (aka Walter, aka Dennis) blamed Maddie and David for the way their characters ended up and didn't blame the writers. Unless that was the show's way of blaming Cybill and Bruce? But that doesn't seem fair either, unless things were worse between them than I thought. Was the ending of the show really all their fault?

And what was with the song at the end that says we'll be together again? I just wish they had been together again, at least one more time to really wrap things up in a much nicer way. :(

I've been going through the whole series with my kids and we are up to this show. I rewatched it to make sure there wasn't anything they couldn't see since they are still pretty young. Now they aren't sure they even want to see it. They are sad that the show is coming to an end. And I am sad because I watched this episode again for possibly no reason.
I'm not sure if your kids would care for a "silent film", or if they've seen Back to the Future, but there's always "Boink to the Future" to hopefully cheer things up. (Sorry for the shameless self-promotion.)

Finally got the kids to watch this episode. Neither of them liked it, except when Annie left. But my younger daughter was pretty upset when they killed off MacGilicuddy. I was surprised that it bothered her that much. But she doesn't like when any characters in stories and shows dies, so I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised. She did like the wedding though! When it was over my older daughter wanted to rewatch a fun episode so she asked for the one with the pie fight. :)

Awful episode, especially when taken in context with the entire show. The only part I liked was when Maddie told David to get out of her office, with admirable restraint and cool contempt, rather than the aggressive/passionate shrillness of old. I think he'd blown it by then. Not the ending we'd all been building up to for four years then, and, like S5 in general, a slap in the face for those fans who stayed the course. Nasty.

Finally got the kids to watch this episode. Neither of them liked it, except when Annie left. But my younger daughter was pretty upset when they killed off MacGuilicuddy. I was surprised that it bothered her that much. But she doesn't like when any characters in stories and shows dies, so I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised. She did like the wedding though! When it was over my older daughter wanted to rewatch a fun episode so she asked for the one with the pie fight. :)
Not only was it sad that they killed off MacGilicuddy, but what about Bert? I saw nothing funny about him being beaten to a pulp to the point of having his jaw wired. The writers were sadistic. Let’s not forget ,too, that it was supposed to be David beaten to a pulp, not Bert

I also found a disgusting how quickly Annie’s husband forgave her and she resumed her marriage as if nothing had transpired between her and David. So much for their love affair. How madly in love was she? She definitely could’ve used some therapy.

Ending made absolutely no sense. Why would Maddie look at David the way she did and say she couldn’t imagine not seeing him in the morning and then we get a song with a montage about them being together again someday. Meanwhile, David stares into nothing with a scowl on his face.

The fans definitely deserved better.

Not only was it sad that they killed off MacGilicuddy, but what about Bert? I saw nothing funny about him being beaten to a pulp to the point of having his jaw wired. The writers were sadistic. Let’s not forget ,too, that it was supposed to be David beaten to a pulp, not Bert

I also found a disgusting how quickly Annie’s husband forgave her and she resumed her marriage as if nothing had transpired between her and David. So much for their love affair. How madly in love was she? She definitely could’ve used some therapy.

Ending made absolutely no sense. Why would Maddie look at David the way she did and say she couldn’t imagine not seeing him in the morning and then we get a song with a montage about them being together again someday. Meanwhile, David stares into nothing with a scowl on his face.

The fans definitely deserved better.
I agree about Bert. That was unfair since he did nothing wrong. I was actually happy when David got punched during the wedding and it makes me sad to think that made me happy.
Hopefully Annie and her husband went back home and got some counseling.
I like to think that David looked so angry/upset at the end because everything was ending. He shouldn't look happy. But of course it would have been better if he and Maddie could have made up during this episode and at least hugged at the end and maybe looked hopeful. Maybe he was supposed to be thinking about how much of a mess he made by being with Annie, and then he was wondering if he and Maddie could ever really be together since their relationship hadn't worked before. He wasn't holding out much hope for his future. He just wanted Maddie but didn't think that was realistic.
That's why I love the fan fiction that puts them together after this ending. It's great that we can use our imaginations and make David and Maddie do whatever we want them to do. I wonder if the show had ended really happy, with David and Maddie ending up together (maybe even getting married), would fans have written so many stories?

Another thing that made me really sad was that fake smooch to show the priest they were in love. They were in love for so long and the writers gave us no reason for their love to have ended. In fact, it appeared for a while they were headed for a new beginning. Then, we get scene where David says they talked their relationship to death and Maddie is wearing a party hat because she’s over David. Next thing, David is sleeping with her cousin. It was horrible

I’ll never understand how they wasted 3/4 of the last episode ever on David’s “relationship” (gag) with another woman. Who on earth wanted to see that? There is a smidgen of comfort in David’s roundabout admission to Mark that he didn’t take it seriously and his subsequent breakup with Annie. For my own sanity, I’m convinced the last bit of the episode was David’s nightmare, which set him up to get off his bum and fix things with Maddie once and for all.

Agnes and Bert’s vows were cute, but (as mentioned previously in this thread) all the violence surrounding the wedding was unnecessary.

Finally got the kids to watch this episode. Neither of them liked it, except when Annie left. But my younger daughter was pretty upset when they killed off MacGilicuddy. I was surprised that it bothered her that much. But she doesn't like when any characters in stories and shows dies, so I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised. She did like the wedding though! When it was over my older daughter wanted to rewatch a fun episode so she asked for the one with the pie fight. :)
I didn't like that they killed MacGilicuddy but at the same time I don't consider that part all canon because it wasn't a natural departure. It was a breaking a third wall type of moment where it's not really completely part of the story but more of a pause. The death of MacGilicuddy and the closing of Blue Moon were like a dream sequence rather than something that really happened. Gosh, I still can't believe they tried to kill Maddie within a dream-like episode. It boggles my mind.

But I'll start with the few good things in this one. One is that David broke up with Annie. I rated this episode a 2 just because it was the end of their relationship. If the show had ended with him staying with Annie I would have been so much more upset and angry. Also, it did end with Dave and Maddie holding hands. And it had a few nice, funny bits with Bert and Agnes.

The rest was pretty depressing. I still think if David had said something nice in response to what Maddie said, and they had shared a real hug and kiss, the show and series could have been redeemed. They didn't have to get married or have kids or move in together. Just give the viewers something nice and hopeful to end the show. I also didn't like how Cy (aka Walter, aka Dennis) blamed Maddie and David for the way their characters ended up and didn't blame the writers. Unless that was the show's way of blaming Cybill and Bruce? But that doesn't seem fair either, unless things were worse between them than I thought. Was the ending of the show really all their fault?

And what was with the song at the end that says we'll be together again? I just wish they had been together again, at least one more time to really wrap things up in a much nicer way. :(
No it wasn't fair to the viewers. I do believe the writers purposely wrote the characters in a bad light to hurt the actors. The actors made it difficult but had everyone been professional, they would have written for the viewers instead of using the writing to get even with their difficult stars.

The only good things about the episode is that David finally came to his senses and gain a conscience and sympathized with the husband. The best part though is that he kind of recognized that he wasn't all that serious with Annie and that it was just a laugh for him. I mean, I don't believe it was just a laugh and he did genuinely enjoy being with her and cared for her, but she wasn't the love of his life. He can let go of her and recover rather quickly. As bad is the ending was, I've seen much worse from other shows. At least here it is open enough to imagine all kinds of possibilities. David and Maddie are still single, there are less constraints to take into account, we're free to make our own conclusion and the possibilities are much wider than if they were stuck in other relationships.

Last edited:
Back