Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-Fine. Fine. Good. Good.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-One for the So-So Corral

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • 1-Not So Great

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
The worst episode for me! Even worse than WGC! David doesn't seem at all concerned that she was almost killed. Then she won't let him in her house! And the cherry on top - David leaves her in the ruins of her house and runs back to Annie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just rewatched this episode. I know most people hate it more than WGC but I'm going to look at it in a positive way. I felt that David actually cared that Maddie was safe. He hugged her when he saw her after the garage incident. He followed the detective when he thought he was doing something bad and then warned Maddie and then climbed into her house to protect her. I'm still confused though, if the detective wasn't bad why was he fighting David?

I liked the kiss at the end even though it was just on the cheek, they wouldn't have kissed any more than that in that scene. Neither one of them was going to admit that they still cared about the other as more than a friend and business partner. They had to build back up to that. I think this storyline was going to continue after this and hopefully bring them back together, but then they found out they were cancelled (at least that's what the writer said).

I hated that David bought the couch but I loved that it got ruined pretty much immediately (I think of that as a sign that their relationship was doomed from the start). I'm torn about the lunch scene. David really seemed to care what Maddie thought of him and I liked that he paid a lot more attention to her than Annie. I also liked that Annie felt out of place with them, I think even she could see there was still something between them, just like Walter and Terri could see. But I didn't like that David left after Annie left. However, it seemed no matter what came between them, they would never be completely apart or over each other, no matter how hard they tried.

The ending was very sad, but then I couldn't really see David staying with Maddie after them both saying they were over each other. And I still think it was a little better than the ending of WGC, that one killed me. And at least we didn't have to see David and Annie on a cutesy date like in the last episode or practically making out while dancing after just meeting. I just fast forward any kissing scenes and the couch scene before it got sprayed with water. That's the only way for me to get through any of these episodes.

For me, it's a toss-up between WGC and LE for the title of worst episode of the series. I rate EKNM slightly higher because, as Judy mentioned, it is the only "Annie Arc" episode in which, overall, David showed more concern than contempt for Maddie.

How sad is that.

I just rewatched this episode. I know most people hate it more than WGC but I'm going to look at it in a positive way. I felt that David actually cared that Maddie was safe. He hugged her when he saw her after the garage incident. He followed the detective when he thought he was doing something bad and then warned Maddie and then climbed into her house to protect her. I'm still confused though, if the detective wasn't bad why was he fighting David?

I liked the kiss at the end even though it was just on the cheek, they wouldn't have kissed any more than that in that scene. Neither one of them was going to admit that they still cared about the other as more than a friend and business partner. They had to build back up to that. I think this storyline was going to continue after this and hopefully bring them back together, but then they found out they were cancelled (at least that's what the writer said).

I hated that David bought the couch but I loved that it got ruined pretty much immediately (I think of that as a sign that their relationship was doomed from the start). I'm torn about the lunch scene. David really seemed to care what Maddie thought of him and I liked that he paid a lot more attention to her than Annie. I also liked that Annie felt out of place with them, I think even she could see there was still something between them, just like Walter and Terri could see. But I didn't like that David left after Annie left. However, it seemed no matter what came between them, they would never be completely apart or over each other, no matter how hard they tried.

The ending was very sad, but then I couldn't really see David staying with Maddie after them both saying they were over each other. And I still think it was a little better than the ending of WGC, that one killed me. And at least we didn't have to see David and Annie on a cutesy date like in the last episode or practically making out while dancing after just meeting. I just fast forward any kissing scenes and the couch scene before it got sprayed with water. That's the only way for me to get through any of these episodes.
He acted like she was some casual friend throughout the episode. REAL D would have ran to see what was going on when he heard she had almost been killed but he was just almost blase about it! I think that Annie felt more uncomfortable because of the tension - there didn't seem to be anything between them except loathing and anger in that scene. David showed up to see what she was saying to Annie and to spite her. And the ending????? How on earth could a man who cared about a woman leave her in that mess?????? REAL D would have stayed right by her side. The David in those episodes was not the REAL DAVID to me.

For me, it's a toss-up between WGC and LE for the title of worst episode of the series. I rate EKNM slightly higher because, as Judy mentioned, it is the only "Annie Arc" episode in which, overall, David showed more concern than contempt for Maddie.

How sad is that.
concern for a co-worker or casual friend - not a woman you are in love with. It stunk

concern for a co-worker or casual friend - not a woman you are in love with. It stunk
I agree, REAL D (I like how you put that, MoonlightingMagic) would have dropped whatever he was doing and gotten to Maddie as quickly as possible after hearing about what happened to her in that garage. Not only that, the fact that she was very nearly murdered should have rattled his cage so much so that the REAL D would have realized how stupid he was acting and gone back to acting like his normal self. You know, that guy who told Mr. Hayes that he would give up his life for her.

I always thought the way David gets up and hugs Maddie when she walks into his office seemed so fake - lacking any real feeling and emotion. Awful!

I still want to see it as David and Maddie denying their true feelings as usual. Neither one wanted to admit that there was still something between them. They lived in denial through most of the series. Of course David could have acted quite differently, but since he didn't I am trying to find some positive things in this mess. She hurt him so much he wasn't about to put himself out there completely just to get hurt again. And who knows when he found out that she had been in danger? Maybe he didn't find out until he got to work the next day, so he wouldn't have had time to go see her sooner. I don't think we actually know when he found out.

I'm not saying its a good episode, just better than WGC, for me anyway.

I just watched this episode last night. One of the many, many things I hate about it is that, here we finally have a scene where David is supposed to come to Maddie's rescue, and instead of playing it serious and romantic-like, it's done in this silly, comedic-kind of way. The way they play that "sneaking" music when they are walking down the stairs, and then all that silly fighting and Maddie being concerned about her vases. Ugh!

I mean, I know it's like ML to do a funny chase sequence, but here I would've liked to have seen a little more caring and emotion.

I just watched this episode last night. One of the many, many things I hate about it is that, here we finally have a scene where David is supposed to come to Maddie's rescue, and instead of playing it serious and romantic-like, it's done in this silly, comedic-kind of way. The way they play that "sneaking" music when they are walking down the stairs, and then all that silly fighting and Maddie being concerned about her vases. Ugh!

I mean, I know it's like ML to do a funny chase sequence, but here I would've liked to have seen a little more caring and emotion.
How about the part where she won't even let him in her house????

I agree, REAL D (I like how you put that, MoonlightingMagic) would have dropped whatever he was doing and gotten to Maddie as quickly as possible after hearing about what happened to her in that garage. Not only that, the fact that she was very nearly murdered should have rattled his cage so much so that the REAL D would have realized how stupid he was acting and gone back to acting like his normal self. You know, that guy who told Mr. Hayes that he would give up his life for her.

I always thought the way David gets up and hugs Maddie when she walks into his office seemed so fake - lacking any real feeling and emotion. Awful!
I do agree that it felt fake the way he went to her and hugged her, but the later scene where he made sure she would have a bodyguard at all time showed that he did still care and was assured of her safety. Yes the old David would have dropped everything to be near her but I feel like at this point he doesn't feel the closeness anymore for him to be more involved. I think he's burned-out of Maddie's rejection.

I still want to see it as David and Maddie denying their true feelings as usual. Neither one wanted to admit that there was still something between them. They lived in denial through most of the series. Of course David could have acted quite differently, but since he didn't I am trying to find some positive things in this mess. She hurt him so much he wasn't about to put himself out there completely just to get hurt again. And who knows when he found out that she had been in danger? Maybe he didn't find out until he got to work the next day, so he wouldn't have had time to go see her sooner. I don't think we actually know when he found out.

I'm not saying its a good episode, just better than WGC, for me anyway.
Throughout the Annie arc, I'm more frustrated at Maddie than at anyone else. At her last therapy session, she was perfectly fine that David and her were strictly on friendly terms having their own separate lives. She didn't want to go back on the roller coaster and added a "no way!" The thing is, the roller coaster was of her own doing. Had she stayed in L.A. and not go to Chicago and come back with a husband, the ride wouldn't be so bumpy. The biggest fall of course was the tragedy with the baby but that was no one's fault. When Maddie was with Annie at the beginning, she kept talking bad about David. She always think the worst of him but he had shown that he's willing to change for her but she keeps doubting him and rejecting him. At some point he was going to burst and give up and that's what happened. He had enough and didn't care that he disappointed her anymore. What's the point when there's no hope to be with her? I do think David did genuinely liked Annie and he wasn't with her only to spite Maddie. The scene with the neatly stacked magazines is significant as it showed that Annie is more compatible with him. She was not as stuck-up as Maddie and unlike Maddie accepted him as who he is. He liked to be with someone who didn't criticize him all the time. Another important scene is at the restaurant where David said it's easier to dig behind his back when he's not there. He is bothered that Maddie constantly sees him in a bad light. Annie is just as much at fault for being in the relationship but Maddie keeps saying David will hurt Annie. Isn't that unfair to David?

Of course we don't like to see David not loving Maddie anymore, but none of this would happen if she would just give him a chance and make him know that there's hope for them. Instead the message she's giving is that she doesn't care who he sees as long as it's not Annie. Hearing that is like another rejection to David as she doesn't care about him, she only is bothered she is being betrayed. Never did she alluded that she was hurt seeing him with someone else. Remember when David found out Maddie got married? David grabbed his heart in pain showing he was deeply hurt. Here Maddie doesn't show she's hurt, she just pretends she doesn't care. I'm actually not even sure if she's putting on a façade or she really doesn't care. One scene annoyed me was when Maddie was in the car with Donnigan and he said "He's (David) the one getting the short end of the stick, letting someone like you (Maddie) get away." Well that's not really it isn't it? David did wanted Maddie, it is she who is letting David get away. He's only with Annie because she didn't want him.

For these two to work as a couple, Maddie needs to grow as a character and ease up a little and not be so serious all the time with David. She was joyful and silly with Annie. Why can't she be like that with David? David did grow up in season 4 but he regressed after being hurt and rejected. He is the way he is because he got hurt by his exes. Well Maddie hurt him more than any of his other exes. No wonder he regressed to his old immature self. He needs to gain his maturity back but that will depend on Maddie's willingness to compromise..

Last edited:
T
I do agree that it felt fake the way he went to her and hugged her, but the later scene where he made sure she would have a bodyguard at all time showed that he did still care and was assured of her safety. Yes the old David would have dropped everything to be near her but I feel like at this point he doesn't feel the closeness anymore for him to be more involved. I think he's burned-out of Maddie's rejection.

Throughout the Annie arc, I'm more frustrated at Maddie than at anyone else. At her last therapy session, she was perfectly fine that David and her were strictly on friendly terms having their own separate lives. She didn't want to go back on the roller coaster and added a "no way!" The thing is, the roller coaster was of her own doing. Had she stayed in L.A. and not go to Chicago and come back with a husband, the ride wouldn't be so bumpy. The biggest fall of course was the tragedy with the baby but that was no one's fault. When Maddie was with Annie at the beginning, she kept talking bad about David. She always think the worst of him but he had shown that he's willing to change for her but she keeps doubting him and rejecting him. At some point he was going to burst and give up and that's what happened. He had enough and didn't care that he disappointed her anymore. What's the point when there's no hope to be with her? I do think David did genuinely liked Annie and he wasn't with her only to spite Maddie. The scene with the neatly stacked magazines is significant as it showed that Annie is more compatible with him. She was not as stuck-up as Maddie and unlike Maddie accepted him as who he is. He liked to be with someone who didn't criticize him all the time. Another important scene is at the restaurant where David said it's easier to dig behind his back when he's not there. He was frustrated that Maddie sees him in a bad light all the time. Annie is just as much at fault to be in the relationship but Maddie keeps saying David will hurt Annie. Isn't that unfair to David?

Of course we don't like to see David not loving Maddie anymore, but none of this would happen if she would just give him a chance and make him know that there's hope for them. Instead the message she's giving is that she doesn't care who he sees as long as it's not Annie. Hearing that is like another rejection to David as she doesn't care about him, she only is bothered she is being betrayed. Never did she alluded that she was hurt seeing him with someone else. Remember when David found out Maddie got married? David grabbed his heart in pain showing he was deeply hurt. Here Maddie doesn't show she's hurt, she just pretends she doesn't care. I'm actually not even sure if she's putting on a façade or she really doesn't care. One scene annoyed me was when Maddie was in the car with Donnigan and he said "He's (David) the one getting the short end of the stick, letting someone like you (Maddie) get away." Well that's not really it isn't it? David did wanted Maddie, it is she who is letting David get away. He's only with Annie because she didn't want him.

For these two to work as a couple, Maddie needs to grow as a character and ease up a little and not be so serious all the time with David. She was joyful and silly with Annie. Why can't she be like that with David? David did grow up in season 4 but he regressed after being hurt and rejected. He is the way he is because he got hurt by his exes. Well Maddie hurt him more than any of his other exes. No wonder he regressed to his old immature self. He needs to gain his maturity back but that will depend on Maddie's willingness to compromise..
The thing about the Annie arc is that he did seem to enjoy himself with her. Maddie had hurt and rejected him just too many times.

T
The thing about the Annie arc is that he did seem to enjoy himself with her. Maddie had hurt and rejected him just too many times.
David enjoyed being with Annie because she didn't criticize him all the time. Maddie was willing to risk her life with a complete stranger rather than try it with him. That's extremely hurtful and it's a miracle that he still stayed with her for so long.

Never did she alluded that she was hurt seeing him with someone else. Remember when David found out Maddie got married? David grabbed his heart in pain showing he was deeply hurt. Here Maddie doesn't show she's hurt, she just pretends she doesn't care. I'm actually not even sure if she's putting on a façade or she really doesn't care.
These are some great insights on the sad state they were in at this time. I do find myself often rewatching the scene where David leaves her in the mess of the house. I think the look on her face here solidifies for me that she really did still love him. Maddie had built up some high walls when it came to him (although he didn’t deserve them). The wreckage of the house could symbolize the mess they had become, or maybe even just the mess Maddie was at that point. Cybill did a great job in that scene. Her exasperated sigh when he walks away…I think Maddie was lamenting how the hell they had gotten to that point and was at a loss for how they could fix it. Like she couldn’t believe this was where they were. David was more resigned to them not being together but he still looked so sad when he kissed her cheek. I feel like there is still love in that scene on both their parts. It is just buried under all the hurt from this mess they created.

I am getting to this thread super late but there’s been some good points made here…

I think it’s absolutely true that David’s character grew in season four but Maddie kind of stayed stagnant and while David changed and involved Maddie just kind of let things move around her. That said, a woman like her who was originally written so strong kind of ended up being pretty weak. Again I think it’s testament to the fact that Glenn was not there and if he was he would have written some kind of growth or resolution for her.

I am getting to this thread super late but there’s been some good points made here…

I think it’s absolutely true that David’s character grew in season four but Maddie kind of stayed stagnant and while David changed and involved Maddie just kind of let things move around her. That said, a woman like her who was originally written so strong kind of ended up being pretty weak. Again I think it’s testament to the fact that Glenn was not there and if he was he would have written some kind of growth or resolution for her.
I said this too, that David grew and Maddie regressed in season 4. By season 5 they were equals and Maddie treated him more like an equal, which she didn't do earlier. But it's Glenn who destroyed Maddie in season 4.

Back