• 3-Good. Good. Fine. Fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-One for the So-So Corral

• 1-Not So Great

• Total voters

MoonlightingMagic

HATE that David is continuing with Annie with no guilt or remorse! WTF David???? Please hurry up and write a happy ending lol

Question: Why can't David have a family with Maddie?

Marlena

HATE that David is continuing with Annie with no guilt or remorse! WTF David???? Please hurry up and write a happy ending lol

All of Season 5 takes place during the six months after Maddie loses the baby. In my background story, she feels scared about ever going through that kind of loss again, and so she is feeling like she may not want children. But at the same time, she feels that David would make a great father, and she doesn't want to be the reason why he never has kids. So, in essence, it's really just another of the many walls Maddie puts up. It's not that she can't have a family with David, it's just that she's not sure she wants to. And, of course, they never really communicate about it, and even when they try, they are not getting through to each other.

Marlena

Also, I would argue that David  is feeling guilty, and that it is manifesting in how rude and mean he is towards Maddie. I find that as I watch these Season 5 episodes over and over, doing my "research" for my stories, that I am starting to understand David's nasty behavior more. His heart is crushed, and so he's lost who he really is... very sad.

But don't worry, I'm gonna keep writing 'til things get better for both of them.

Sandra

I loved the fact that you introduced a case in this one! A very sweet one, which at least made Maddie and David see somewhat of a sliver of emotion and connection that they once felt (and still do) for each other. I'm curious how you're going to end this. Will you continue to follow the show, or will there be a twist at the end of 'Lunar Eclipse'...... I can't wait to find out!

FanofMoonlighting

Very good Marlena! It would have been nice to see how they would have worked together during that time on the show, like when they worked on the case during Maddie's Turn to Cry. Maybe David would have had doubts about his feelings for Annie while working with Maddie.

Marlena

MoonlightingMagic, Nala, Sandra, and FanofMoonlighting... thank you for your feedback and kind words about my story!

To answer Sandra's question, I am going to continue to stick to the show as it aired. That's been my goal since I started this writing project last fall. But, I do have a plan so that everything works out. And it's not a big, extravagant plan. Nothing like time travel. It's actually a very simple plan. It should fit with the style of the show, I hope. And no, it's not that they wake up and realize it's all been a dream. That was already done on another show... Newhart, I think.

I know it sounds silly, but when I write these stories, I actually feel like I'm writing for the show. I imagine how it would look on camera, the type of music that would be playing. Stuff like that.

I think that's what I find so irritating about Season 5. It's as if it was written by people who didn't care about Maddie and David. It's like they didn't know what these characters went through together in Seasons 1 - 4, so their Season 5 actions don't make any sense. That's why I'm writing this background story... to bring the emotion and the feelings back so that what we do see onscreen makes more sense.

Davidsmaddie

Marlena-

This was so awesome! I’m sorry I got here late but I love your insights. Also, you are so brave to watch these episodes so you can fix the horrible nightmare that is the 5th Season Annie Arc.

I am intrigued by your position that David wants a family and Maddie doesn’t. To be fair, I haven’t watch these episodes very closely to analyze them deeply because quite frankly I don’t have the heart, but now you make me want to go back and rewatch them because I want to see that perspective. Is this something that was a creative license that you added or something you saw on the episodes?

Also thank your for calling back the pilot dance scene. That was so perfect. You wrote a great case which is sometimes hard and I try to avoid it frankly.

Keep it coming! Your writing is so spot on! I’m such a fan!

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
I am intrigued by your position that David wants a family and Maddie doesn’t.
I will let Marlena speak for herself, but I believe her position is that David wants Maddie, even if it means not having a family, and Maddie is unwilling or unable to understand that as she struggles to sort out what she wants for herself.

FanofMoonlighting

I will let Marlena speak for herself, but I believe her position is that David wants Maddie, even if it means not having a family, and Maddie is unwilling or unable to understand that as she struggles to sort out what she wants for herself.
Yes. She seems to have decided what is best for David without letting him decide for himself. I guess she's afraid he'll regret his decision in the future and then resent her. Sounds like something Maddie would do. Marlena, I hope I'm interpreting that correctly!

Marlena

Marlena-

This was so awesome! I’m sorry I got here late but I love your insights. Also, you are so brave to watch these episodes so you can fix the horrible nightmare that is the 5th Season Annie Arc.

I am intrigued by your position that David wants a family and Maddie doesn’t. To be fair, I haven’t watch these episodes very closely to analyze them deeply because quite frankly I don’t have the heart, but now you make me want to go back and rewatch them because I want to see that perspective. Is this something that was a creative license that you added or something you saw on the episodes?

Also thank your for calling back the pilot dance scene. That was so perfect. You wrote a great case which is sometimes hard and I try to avoid it frankly.

Keep it coming! Your writing is so spot on! I’m such a fan!
Hi Dana, I definitely want to explain my position on that topic. It's something I've given a tremendous amount of thought to while writing all these stories. I'm at work now, but when I get a chance, I'll write more here.

Davidsmaddie

Hi Dana, I definitely want to explain my position on that topic. It's something I've given a tremendous amount of thought to while writing all these stories. I'm at work now, but when I get a chance, I'll write more here.
Please do!! This is so interesting to me!

Davidsmaddie

Wow, this is deep. Very complex. I love it!! I think I look at the Annie Arc too simply sometimes because I don’t look at it and haven’t since my teens because I just can not. It almost makes me want to watch these episodes again…

Almost.

When I attempt to resolve the Annie arc I just get rid of her! Marlena is brave!

Marlena

Wow, this is deep. Very complex. I love it!! I think I look at the Annie Arc too simply sometimes because I don’t look at it and haven’t since my teens because I just can not. It almost makes me want to watch these episodes again…

Almost.

When I attempt to resolve the Annie arc I just get rid of her! Marlena is brave!
That was the problem with Season 5. It wasn't complex enough. You can't have two people go through what Maddie and David went through and then just pretend like it didn't happen... especially when you consider the fact that all of Season 5 takes place during the 6 months after Maddie loses the baby. That's not enough time for her to heal and make any sense of what happened.

Davidsmaddie

That was the problem with Season 5. It wasn't complex enough. You can't have two people go through what Maddie and David went through and then just pretend like it didn't happen... especially when you consider the fact that all of Season 5 takes place during the 6 months after Maddie loses the baby. That's not enough time for her to heal and make any sense of what happened.
Another excellent point. It’s super complex. As a person who had this happen, I find it hard to write and watch sometimes as an adult. I think that’s why I am both fixated on it and hate it at the same time. And agreed, you do not heal in 6 months. I think a lot of times what actually heals you most other than time is the birth of another baby. That’s a whole different story line!

Marlena

Okay, so I was feeling a bit overwhelmed on how to respond to this. This whole thing spans 8 stories (so far) that I have written over the course of the last 7 months. So I was trying to think of the best way to summarize my thoughts. I started just typing my ideas in the notes section on my phone, so I figured, rather than retyping everything, I would cut and paste them here. So here goes... don't judge me on my grammar... I typed this up real quick. Sorry if it gets too complex, but you know, somebody's got to make up for the lack of complexity in Season 5.

M, 36, has dated many eligible men, settled with none, Sam seems willing to do anything for her, he'd be a great father, she doesn't want him, David IS her person, but she's so set in her ways, so much so that I think she would question/put walls up to everything from living together to marriage to having babies. But, that doesn't change the fact that he IS her person.

M wasn't trying to get pregnant, but it happened. She decides to make the best of it, but we never see her excited about it, not really. She is touched by the fact that D sent her the baby books; it seems to be the very thing that gets her to leave Chicago and go home.

When M sees D with Terri, she's seeing him in the husband/father role, and she's jealous as anything. She wants him, and I believe they start to work out their relationship after that. I don't think they ever seem happier together than when they are dancing at the baby shower. Then tragedy strikes and they lose the baby.

M was so far along in her pregnancy when she lost the baby. That's got to make it hard for her to even think of trying again, especially being at an age that's considered high risk to begin with. It's when M runs into Terri at the mall shortly after Christmas that she's made to feel badly for "stringing D along". Terri definitely recognized that D would've made a great dad, and she wanted that for him.

So, M's in this relationship with D, but she doesn't want to let him in all the way, so she puts up her walls, and the main one is that she doesn't want D to resent her if they never have children. She tells him that, but whenever they try to communicate, it gets too emotional and they don't really hear what the other is saying. Why? Because D really just wants to live his life with her, family or no family. But no matter what, M's always got to put her walls up.

Why do I think D wants children? Look at how he bought all those baby books, wanted to learn Lamaze. He was so caring with Terri, bought all those toys for the baby's room.

I made up a character named Benny, who had been D's good friend for 10 years or so. Benny and his wife were expecting their first baby. I think when a man like David gets to be in his early 30's and his friends start getting married and having children, it would make sense that David might start wanting that, too, or at least be thinking about it. M was aware of D's friend's baby.

I think that had M not told D that the baby wasn't his, that he would've been so over the top excited about that baby. And she knew it. Maybe she was afraid of him being more excited about having that baby than she was.

Last edited:

Marlena

Feeling a little vulnerable over here after sharing all that, so if you disagree and feel you need to throw rocks at me, please make them just little pebbles so they don't hurt too much. 🙄

Davidsmaddie

Okay, so I was feeling a bit overwhelmed on how to respond to this. This whole thing spans 8 stories (so far) that I have written over the course of the last 7 months. So I was trying to think of the best way to summarize my thoughts. I started just typing my ideas in the notes section on my phone, so I figured, rather than retyping everything, I would cut and paste them here. So here goes... don't judge me on my grammar... I typed this up real quick. Sorry if it gets too complex, but you know, somebody's got to make up for the lack of complexity in Season 5.

M, 36, has dated many eligible men, settled with none, Sam seems willing to do anything for her, he'd be a great father, she doesn't want him, David IS her person, but she's so set in her ways, so much so that I think she would question/put walls up to everything from living together to marriage to having babies. But, that doesn't change the fact that he IS her person.

M wasn't trying to get pregnant, but it happened. She decides to make the best of it, but we never see her excited about it, not really. She is touched by the fact that D sent her the baby books; it seems to be the very thing that gets her to leave Chicago and go home.

When M sees D with Terri, she's seeing him in the husband/father role, and she's jealous as anything. She wants him, and I believe they start to work out their relationship after that. I don't think they ever seem happier together than when they are dancing at the baby shower. Then tragedy strikes and they lose the baby.

M was so far along in her pregnancy when she lost the baby. That's got to make it hard for her to even think of trying again, especially being at an age that's considered high risk to begin with. It's when M runs into Terri at the mall shortly after Christmas that she's made to feel badly for "stringing D along". Terri definitely recognized that D would've made a great dad, and she wanted that for him.

So, M's in this relationship with D, but she doesn't want to let him in all the way, so she puts up her walls, and the main one is that she doesn't want D to resent her if they never have children. She tells him that, but whenever they try to communicate, it gets too emotional and they don't really hear what the other is saying. Why? Because D really just wants to live his life with her, family or no family. But no matter what, M's always got to put her walls up.

Why do I think D wants children? Look at how he bought all those baby books, wanted to learn Lamaze. He was so caring with Terri, bought all those toys for the baby's room.

I made up a character named Benny, who had been D's good friend for 10 years or so. Benny and his wife were expecting their first baby. I think when a man like David gets to be in his early 30's and his friends start getting married and having children, it would make sense that David might start wanting that, too, or at least be thinking about it. M was aware of D's friend's baby.

I think that had M not told D that the baby wasn't his, that he would've been so over the top excited about that baby. And she knew it. Maybe she was afraid of him being more excited about having that baby than she was.
Wow, thank you for sharing all this valuable insight. I just love it!!!! I’m sure I speak for a bunch of us when I say I am so grateful you have put so much time and effort into this. This is awesome, you can see the complexities. I feel like You’ve managed to rationally analyze Maddie and David’s season 5 relationship whereas I think a lot of us just get emotional about it, or just see the surface and can’t past the awfulness to the layers. It makes so much sense what you’re saying.

I did get the impression though, after the conversation in the hospital that Maddie was seriously brokenhearted about the baby being Sam’s. If she knew the baby was absolutely D’s, I think she would’ve been more excited about it. I think that was a big obstacle for her (which I think was the reason why the writers wrote it that way. Contrived conflict, because there would t be any of the baby was David’s. They’d just be together).

It would’ve been interesting if it turned out to be David’s baby and everybody was in the know about that. It wouldn’t have been a hard fix for the writers, and honestly, I think that’s where they were going had there not been a writers strike at the end of season four.

And then Annie. I am so looking forward to how you ultimately explain that. I really cannot for the life of me explain this character. Why make her Maddie’s cousin? Like why not just some random woman, even a friend of hers? Even call Rita back. I just don’t get it. I’m so intrigued by this now because I feel like you’ve opened so many other doors as to their character motivations. I’m a character writer so all the stuff fascinates me. Thank you so much for writing this and for all your deep dive explanations on their characters. It makes all of us fan fiction writers better when we hear other peoples motivations for putting stories together like they do. Keep going Marlena! I’m a huge fan!

Davidsmaddie

One more thing..I feel like in David’s heart he felt that baby was his. Not necessarily that he thought Maddie was lying to him, or that if she even knew for sure, I think he just had a sixth scense that truly was his baby and when it was born it would be resolved. I think that’s where a lot of his motivation came from.

There is an ommitted scene in the script of Fetal Attraction where he is talking to Terri. Terri says the line… So you’re willing to do this even though you’re not sure you’re the father?
In the script he says what he says about he’s hoping the baby pops out and says hi daddy, but he also says in the sentence before that. “Looks like there’s no accurate way to find out who truly is the father until after the baby is born.”

So the writers left outs for themselves. They knew what they were doing before season 5 anyway.

Last edited: