Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-Fine. Fine. Good. Good.

• 2-One for the So-So Corral

• 1-Not So Great

• Total voters
Very good story and very emotional. If that really happened it would certainly explain why David was being so cold to Maddie at the end. Are you going to write any more before WGC?

Since you started writing the season 5 background story, my heart jumps and I mutter "Oh God" every time I see a notification that a new part is up ;)
I mean that as a compliment, since it means that you've managed to convey the angst that was David and Maddie back in 1989.

Since you started writing the season 5 background story, my heart jumps and I mutter "Oh God" every time I see a notification that a new part is up ;)
I mean that as a compliment, since it means that you've managed to convey the angst that was David and Maddie back in 1989.
Thank you, Sandra!

When real-world factors forced the physical separation of David and Maddie in season 4, the writers had no choice but to maintain the characters' relationship by showing how they were connected emotionally. Regardless of whether viewers believe this was handled well or not, there is no denying that we were shown in vivid detail how each was affecting the other's heart.

If only the same could be said for season 5. Once finally past the behind-the-scenes obstacles of 1987, the powers-that-be squandered the first true opportunity they had to explore, in real depth, a time when David and Maddie could have been both emotionally AND physically connected. The onscreen relationship that had been the foundation of Moonlighting itself was allowed to deteriorate from passion to indifference to resentment. And if that wasn't bad enough, insult was added to injury when underestimated viewers were left to fill in the blanks for ourselves as to why (in-universe) this was even happening.

Marlena's season 5 backstory sets out to correct this and is thus far the most sprawling effort in Moonlighting fanfiction history to put the series' heart back into season 5. It finds happiness wherever possible within the constructs of the Original Series, but it doesn't alter time or throw in any fairy-tale contrivances to sugarcoat a relationship gradually dying. This is tough stuff, especially for a David-and-Maddie shipper like me, but as I've written elsewhere, the carefully crafted characters of seasons 1-4 deserve nothing less than the most respectful treatment possible, even as they behave in ways we might be unable to respect at all.

For the uninitiated, Marlena's season 5 backstory consists of the following (sorted chronologically):
and now…
I have chosen to discuss the larger "backstory" in this review, rather than focus on this latest chapter, because the beautifully saddening bigger picture is even greater than the sum of its already wonderful, individual parts. I also don't want to spoil anything, as Marlena continues to deliver surprises for readers familiar (or not) with the course of season 5.

Long story short... If you consider yourself more than just a fair-weather Moonlighting fan, you really owe it to yourself to dig into this entire ongoing backstory. The next chapter is poised to enter the dreaded "Annie Arc" territory, and I - for one - am glad to be all caught up and fully prepared. I have complete confidence as I write this that Marlena's remaining chapters will ably complete the impressive and unenviable task of turning the decades-old wasting of TV's greatest romance into a daring depiction of the toll life can take on love.

Keep up the great work, Marlena! I am with you to the bitter end, and sad though it all may be, I can't wait for more bitter sweetness.

When real-world factors forced the physical separation of David and Maddie in season 4, the writers had no choice but to maintain the characters' relationship by showing how they were connected emotionally. Regardless of whether viewers believe this was handled well or not, there is no denying that we were shown in vivid detail how each was affecting the other's heart.

If only the same could be said for season 5. Once finally past the behind-the-scenes obstacles of 1987, the powers-that-be squandered the first true opportunity they had to explore, in real depth, a time when David and Maddie could have been both emotionally AND physically connected. The onscreen relationship that had been the foundation of Moonlighting itself was allowed to deteriorate from passion to indifference to resentment. And if that wasn't bad enough, insult was added to injury when underestimated viewers were left to fill in the blanks for ourselves as to why (in-universe) this was even happening.

Marlena's season 5 backstory sets out to correct this and is thus far the most sprawling effort in Moonlighting fanfiction history to put the series' heart back into season 5. It finds happiness wherever possible within the constructs of the Original Series, but it doesn't alter time or throw in any fairy-tale contrivances to sugarcoat a relationship gradually dying. This is tough stuff, especially for a David-and-Maddie shipper like me, but as I've written elsewhere, the carefully crafted characters of seasons 1-4 deserve nothing less than the most respectful treatment possible, even as they behave in ways we might be unable to respect at all.

For the uninitiated, Marlena's season 5 backstory consists of the following (sorted chronologically):
and now…
I have chosen to discuss the larger "backstory" in this review, rather than focus on this latest chapter, because the beautifully saddening bigger picture is even greater than the sum of its already wonderful, individual parts. I also don't want to spoil anything, as Marlena continues to deliver surprises for readers familiar (or not) with the course of season 5.

Long story short... If you consider yourself more than just a fair-weather Moonlighting fan, you really owe it to yourself to dig into this entire ongoing backstory. The next chapter is poised to enter the dreaded "Annie Arc" territory, and I - for one - am glad to be all caught up and fully prepared. I have complete confidence as I write this that Marlena's remaining chapters will ably complete the impressive and unenviable task of turning the decades-old wasting of TV's greatest romance into a daring depiction of the toll life can take on love.

Keep up the great work, Marlena! I am with you to the bitter end, and sad though it all may be, I can't wait for more bitter sweetness.
Wow, Ryan, THANK YOU for writing up this wonderful review. I really appreciate it. Keeps me motivated to write more, which is good because going into the "Annie Arc" ... I'll need as much motivation as I can get. Thank you again!!!

David broke me in this one. You’ve set it up where his pending spiral is understandable and almost justifiable (not an easy task!). Even still, you explain Maddie’s point of view in a way that is sympathetic even though it is frustrating as hell. The balance 👏

Last edited:
David broke me in this one. You’ve set it up where his pending spiral is understandable and almost justifiable (not an easy task!). Even still, you explain Maddie’s point of view in a way that is sympathetic even though it is frustrating as hell. The balance 👏
Thank you, BlueMoon. I love that you're bringing these stories back into the spotlight again. Much appreciated, especially now at a time when Moonlighting will be seen by new and old fans alike. I'm sure we'll get a whole new group of fans on here looking for fanfiction.

Back