On the subject of kissing...

The real Maddie ( I always think of the season 5 David and Maddie as frauds lol) would have been so jealous when she found out about David practicing with the office girls!
Agreed. Having David kiss the other women was in poor taste and just feels inauthentic, especially with the original broadcast order haphazardly placing this episode immediately after "Shirts and Skins", in which he officially became their boss and told Maddie that he hated the idea of her seeing him as another Neil Fass.

Script number order places SAS sometime after TMWFE, which provides much a better context for everything. David's self-identification with Neil Fass now becomes more about his regret over kissing the women than season 5 callously reducing his relationship with Maddie to mere sexual harassment. Either way, though, his kissing the women (and Maddie's lack of concern about it) just feels wrong.

It's pretty sad that the subject of kissing in general is so poorly handled by TMWFE that the highlight of the episode for me is not David and Maddie's only kiss of the season.

It's David's car.

Okay, after thinking it over, I'll give props to one aspect of the kissing in TMWFE...

When David kisses Jamie, she is so moved/dazed by it that she falls over and walks into the door frame on her way out. She is at his mercy, while David is completely unaffected by the kiss.

When Maddie kisses David, he's all in. She takes control, and he allows himself to be splayed out across her desk.

David and Maddie's level of engagement with each other is in a whole different league when compared to David with Jamie or Maddie with Sam, even in an episode (moreover, a season) that is sorely lacking in heat.

So, there's that.

Still... I really shouldn't have to dig so deep to find joy in a David and Maddie kiss.

Okay, after thinking it over, I'll give props to one aspect of the kissing in TMWFE...

When David kisses Jamie, she is so moved/dazed by it that she falls over and walks into the door frame on her way out. She is at his mercy, while David is completely unaffected by the kiss.

When Maddie kisses David, he's all in. She takes control, and he allows himself to be splayed out across her desk.

David and Maddie's level of engagement with each other is in a whole different league when compared to David with Jamie or Maddie with Sam, even in an episode (moreover, a season) that is sorely lacking in heat.

So, there's that.

Still... I really shouldn't have to dig so deep to find joy in a David and Maddie kiss.
That is a nice way to look at it! David didn't really seem to enjoy the kiss with Jamie like he enjoys kissing Maddie. Thanks for making it a little better for me. :)
Also, it is interesting that you say the script order is different than the order they actually aired in. I wonder why it was changed?

It is interesting that you say the script order is different than the order they actually aired in. I wonder why it was changed?
I suspect that the out-of-order airing of season 5 episodes was simply a result of GGC and his relatively high level of quality control being gone. Episodes could be produced more quickly and cheaply, and released more carelessly, than ever before. Why else would INO premiere between WGC and EKNM?

So, there's that.

That is a nice way to look at it! David didn't really seem to enjoy the kiss with Jamie like he enjoys kissing Maddie. Thanks for making it a little better for me. :)
Also, it is interesting that you say the script order is different than the order they actually aired in. I wonder why it was changed?
I just watched this episode and it was very evident to me that the only reason David was practicing kissing was to impress Maddie or rather to satisfy her. He was bothered that she wasn't completely satisfied with the way he kisses so his then mission was to rectify that. Maddie was his only focus, not the kiss session with the girls. Yes his method was highly questionable, but his intention was solely practical and he did it for Maddie. You can see how happy he was when she liked the kiss. He was in heaven.

vlcsnap-2022-08-14-04h27m50s450.png

The ending continues to confuse me. Maddie tells David to thank the girls for her. That can only means David's new kissing talent is to her own benefit because she is the receiving end of his kisses. So this is an on-going thing and not just a one time thank you kiss. She goes from asking if he's dating not knowing anything about his private life outside the office to implying she's the benefactor of his kisses still going forward. There is just no consistency in season 5, it's all over the place. The only thing that would make sense is that they're having an open relationship.

Last edited:
On the one hand, I can see why the writer who wrote the "practice kissing" scene thought it was funny. Here you have David, who presents himself as being very confident and experienced with the ladies, practicing kissing with his three average-looking female employees. And he's doing it for the sole purpose of impressing Maddie, who supposedly isn't even sleeping with him at this point. So he's hoping this will help him get her back maybe.

On the other hand, it's just wrong for a lot of reasons.

I get that they were going for humor with this scene, but it really did come off as awkward and tasteless. Not one of Moonlighting's better moments.

On the one hand, I can see why the writer who wrote the "practice kissing" scene thought it was funny. Here you have David, who presents himself as being very confident and experienced with the ladies, practicing kissing with his three average-looking female employees. And he's doing it for the sole purpose of impressing Maddie, who supposedly isn't even sleeping with him at this point. So he's hoping this will help him get her back maybe.

On the other hand, it's just wrong for a lot of reasons.

I get that they were going for humor with this scene, but it really did come off as awkward and tasteless. Not one of Moonlighting's better moments.
I agree! Despite the fact that he was supposedly doing it for Maddie's sake, I still didn't like it.
Also, I just had a terrible thought. One kiss with Jamie made him a better kisser? And yet, all those kisses with Maddie and he wasn't very good? Why couldn't she have taught him how she likes to be kissed? It makes no sense that he needed outside help.

I just watched this episode and it was very evident to me that the only reason David was practicing kissing was to impress Maddie or rather to satisfy her. He was bothered that she wasn't completely satisfied with the way he kisses so his then mission was to rectify that. Maddie was his only focus, not the kiss session with the girls. Yes his method was highly questionable, but his intention was solely practical and he did it for Maddie. You can see how happy he was when she liked the kiss. He was in heaven.

View attachment 1951

The ending continues to confuse me. Maddie tells David to thank the girls for her. That can only means David's new kissing talent is to her own benefit because she is the receiving end of his kisses. So this is an on-going thing and not just a one time thank you kiss. She goes from asking if he's dating not knowing anything about his private life outside the office to implying she's the benefactor of his kisses still going forward. There is just no consistency in season 5, it's all over the place. The only thing that would make sense is that they're having an open relationship.
You're right, that makes no sense! So many things make no sense! :( I still love the show though. 😕

Also, I just had a terrible thought. One kiss with Jamie made him a better kisser? And yet, all those kisses with Maddie and he wasn't very good? Why couldn't she have taught him how she likes to be kissed? It makes no sense that he needed outside help.
I'd like to think he became a better kisser, not because he kissed Jaime once, but because he LISTENED to what Maddie was saying in the mall. She told him very clearly that she didn't like that he was a "hard kisser". He LISTENED to her, and that was what really made the difference. It had nothing to do with Jaime.

I'd like to think he became a better kisser, not because he kissed Jaime once, but because he LISTENED to what Maddie was saying in the mall. She told him very clearly that she didn't like that he was a "hard kisser". He LISTENED to her, and that was what really made the difference. It had nothing to do with Jaime.
So why didn't they talk about this before? And why didn't he practice on Maddie? It seems strange that he would even care what Maddie thought about his kissing if they weren't together. But I do like the way you explained it!

Yep, that's exactly why he got better. He listened to her and now knows what she prefers.

So why didn't they talk about this before? And why didn't he practice on Maddie? It seems strange that he would even care what Maddie thought about his kissing if they weren't together. But I do like the way you explained it!
Who knows why Maddie only brought this up then and not sooner. What we know is once she brought it up, he wanted to rectify it. He couldn't practice on her probably because he's afraid to make any advances. It seemed that he's walking on eggshell at that point so he lets Maddie initiate afraid that she'd refuse the slightest hint.

We can all agree that his kissing practice session was in bad taste and definitely not a right move to take in a professional setting, but I think it's pretty clear what was David's goal and it had nothing to do with taking the opportunity to kiss random women. He strictly did it so that he could be up to the satisfaction of Maddie. Now why even care if they're not even supposed to be together? Well this is the inconsistency of season 5. Like I said previously based on Maddie telling David to thank the girls, it seemed that there's something still going on. Not together anymore, but not completely off limits.

You're right, that makes no sense! So many things make no sense! :( I still love the show though. 😕
Oh I still love the show too despite season 5. When it was good, is was REALLY GOOD.

Last edited:
Back