No title card for "Sam and Dave"?

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
So, I've added to the Home page title screenshots for every OS episode, and unless I'm just missing it, going crazy, or both, there's just no title card for "Sam and Dave" to be found!

Can anyone please help me out here? 🤔

FanofMoonlighting

Nope, I don't see it either. They also don't list Mark Harmon as Sam. I wonder if they were keeping him a surprise for the viewers? We all thought the man at the door was just a stranger that Maddie picked up in the club. We weren't supposed to know anything about him in the beginning of this episode.

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
Judy, you're on to something, I think. More impactful for Maddie to tell us (and David) that the guy's name is Sam, rather than to learn his name from a title card.
I think you are both right (thank you for the feedback), but who amongst us hadn't already put two and two together at this point in "Blonde on Blonde"?

Sam-on-Blonde.jpg

Was there an unavoidable legal requirement to credit Mark Harmon right at this critical moment that the powers-that-be hoped we wouldn't notice, just as we were 100% glued to what was unfolding on our screens? Seems they would have avoided this credit if they could have.

And if the the idea was to keep Sam's name a secret until Maddie dropped it one episode later, why not simply give "Sam and Dave" a different title that didn't need to be withheld? Part of me is certain that GGC was such a huge Van Halen fan that he just couldn't ditch the S&D title, even if he opted not to put it on screen. (This is all speculation, of course.)

DLR-Sammy-Hagar.jpg

FanofMoonlighting

I forgot that Sam was listed in the credits at the end of Blonde on Blonde. Then it doesn't make any sense and my theory is probably wrong. I don't have any idea why they didn't put in the title or Sam's name in Sam and Dave. It is pretty strange.
Your Van Halen theory is pretty funny!

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
I still think the idea of letting Maddie reveal Sam's name in this episode makes sense, unless the title was just accidentally left out. Not sure if it was there during the original broadcast or not.

Marlena, you're probably right about the Sam and Dave R&B duo. Although... GGC did once say his original choice to play Richard Addison was David Lee Roth, and hungover David is uncharacteristically rocking out (or passing out) to DLR's "Yankee Rose" in "The Son Also Rises."

MoonlightingMagic

I still think the idea of letting Maddie reveal Sam's name in this episode makes sense, unless the title was just accidentally left out. Not sure if it was there during the original broadcast or not.

Marlena, you're probably right about the Sam and Dave R&B duo. Although... GGC did once say his original choice to play Richard Addison was David Lee Roth, and hungover David is uncharacteristically rocking out (or passing out) to DLR's "Yankee Rose" in "The Son Also Rises."
I love David Lee Roth but not as David Addison! Unless they cleaned him up a bit - hmmm

Marlena

Hi Boink, here's the cover page and title page from the "Sam and Dave" script.

Attachments

• Sam And Dave 1.jpeg
    Sam And Dave 1.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Sam And Dave 2.jpeg
    Sam And Dave 2.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 6