New Revolutions about “Missing Proposal”

I am so sorry if I am posting this in the wrong spot but…

So I was rewatching the Sam arc and then through the beginning of season four because I really wanted to figure out where the “Missing Proposal” could be. I always thought that it was implied that David said asked over the phone after she was pregnant. But after rewatching this, I really think it happened somewhere during “Trip…”
First, Ray Charles brings up marriage so we know David is thinking it. It’s his dream. At the end Maddie says “you want to answer, I can’t give you one.”
“If you could do anything what would you do?” It’s seems strange to phrase it that way. Like an event has happened that needs to be addressed. There other stuff…
I know this has been addressed before but just thought I’d put it out there again. Cuz it’s fun and all….

Marlena

It is SO fun, and you make some really good points. Personally, I never thought the proposal would've been done over the phone or left on an answering machine. I think David would've hopped on a plane and proposed in person if he was going to do it after hearing she was pregnant, and that may have been his intention had he not ended up in jail.

But I agree with you about ATTTM. David's dream combined with Maddie not being able to give him an answer... it definitely all points to there having been a recent marriage proposal.

However, if David had just proposed marriage to Maddie, it seems really odd that she would be telling him she feels ambivalent about going out on a simple date with him.

Another thought... what if the proposal came in between David's scuffle with the imaginary man at Maddie's doorstep and when they arrived at the laundromat. They were driving around it seems for several hours that night. Maybe they stopped somewhere for a romantic proposal, which Maddie could then not answer.

Marlena

I just rewatched ATTTM and I really do think it makes sense that the proposal would've happened around this time. Maddie is struggling because she wants to know where the relationship is going, which means she wants to know that this is the real deal, something she can rely on. David has marriage on the brain which is evident in his dream. I think he's feeling desperate to hold onto Maddie at this point. He's nervous in the car, not just because he wants the date to go well, but because he's got something much bigger on his mind. If it was his intent to bring up marriage with her that night, I don't think it was "with ring in hand, down on one knee", but rather I think it was his hope that they could discuss marriage as a direction the relationship could go in. I think he may have brought the topic up to her in the car while driving around, and she couldn't say yes, but she couldn't really say no, either.

That’s an excellent point about the driving around. There has got to be a story there!

And you’re right… she was ambivalent about a date and you’d think that would have been a different conversation if there was a proposal somewhere. Like she had more to be ambivalent about…

I also think a proposal there makes her leaving more “high stakes.” It’s not just, I need a break from you so I’m going to visit my parents for a bit. It makes more sense.

And the next episode “… Shiska” during the Clamation, if your keep in your mind that a proposal happened, their conversation makes a little more sense.

“About this time, explain again what you need it for.”

“To think and be sure.”

And then that whole speech ..: “ A woman like me has a future with a no-account like you. Where do you get off even asking…..”

To be sure about dating or sure about her decision about marriage?

MoonlightingMagic

I don't think David had marriage on his mind during that month. He was just happy to have her with him and wasn't thinking of the future- which frustrated and scared Maddie. And for those that say he asked and David did mention it to her dad - then why in Cool Hand Dave did he flat out say they weren't ready as the prisoners sang for him to ask her to marry him?

MoonlightingMagic

I just rewatched ATTTM and I really do think it makes sense that the proposal would've happened around this time. Maddie is struggling because she wants to know where the relationship is going, which means she wants to know that this is the real deal, something she can rely on. David has marriage on the brain which is evident in his dream. I think he's feeling desperate to hold onto Maddie at this point. He's nervous in the car, not just because he wants the date to go well, but because he's got something much bigger on his mind. If it was his intent to bring up marriage with her that night, I don't think it was "with ring in hand, down on one knee", but rather I think it was his hope that they could discuss marriage as a direction the relationship could go in. I think he may have brought the topic up to her in the car while driving around, and she couldn't say yes, but she couldn't really say no, either.
David's dream? What dream?

Good point about the Cool Hand Dave discussions… it’s like the writers meant to make everything vague so they could add and subtract later if needed…

Marlena

I don't think David had marriage on his mind during that month. He was just happy to have her with him and wasn't thinking of the future- which frustrated and scared Maddie. And for those that say he asked and David did mention it to her dad - then why in Cool Hand Dave did he flat out say they weren't ready as the prisoners sang for him to ask her to marry him?
I think David saying to the prisoners that he and Maddie weren't ready to get married doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't thinking about it for their future. When she started asking, "Where is the relationship going?", marriage had to be on his mind, which is why the topic came up with Ray Charles.

I think that if he thought Maddie wanted marriage or a proposal, he would have done it, even if he himself didn't feel quite ready for it. Ultimately, he didn't want to lose her, and he would've done anything she asked. That's why he says to her, "Tell me what to do, and I will do it."

FanofMoonlighting

I've also wondered when he would have proposed. He tells her dad that he asked her and she said no but we never saw a proposal scene. So I have thought something like you say here, that maybe he didn't actually propose on one knee with a ring, but maybe he mentioned marriage and their future plans and maybe she said she wasn't sure or wasn't ready to talk marriage. And that could have happened while they were driving around that night. It also makes sense that she left partly because he was getting more serious about their future than she may have been comfortable with at the time. She needed time to think about whether or not she would really want to spend the rest of her life with David.

Sandra

I actually wrote an entire fictional story about this subject, called 'The Marriage Proposal'. It deals with what could have happened, had David's words to Mr. Hayes about proposing to Maddie been true. As fun as it was writing that story, I think that David blurted those words out in the heat of the moment, desperate to plead his case to Maddie's father. That being said, I think that if David had reached Maddie in Chicago, he would have asked her.

Marlena

I actually wrote an entire fictional story about this subject, called 'The Marriage Proposal'. It deals with what could have happened, had David's words to Mr. Hayes about proposing to Maddie been true. As fun as it was writing that story, I think that David blurted those words out in the heat of the moment, desperate to plead his case to Maddie's father. That being said, I think that if David had reached Maddie in Chicago, he would have asked her.
Hey Sandra, I have such a hard time thinking that David would say those words to Mr. Hayes if they weren't at least somewhat true. Don't you think it's likely that he never actually proposed, but that he at least brought up to Maddie the idea of getting married? Even if it was just for a moment, and then maybe Maddie shot the idea down?

Sandra

Hey Sandra, I have such a hard time thinking that David would say those words to Mr. Hayes if they weren't at least somewhat true. Don't you think it's likely that he never actually proposed, but that he at least brought up to Maddie the idea of getting married? Even if it was just for a moment, and then maybe Maddie shot the idea down?
Maybe he threw an idea out there, sure. Perhaps he was doing or saying something funny and blurted out his 'proposal'. It seems like something David would do; throwing it out there as sort of a joke to test the waters a bit. But he wasn't serious yet. Then, Maddie shot the whole idea down, making him drop it all together.

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe he threw an idea out there, sure. Perhaps he was doing or saying something funny and blurted out his 'proposal'. It seems like something David would do; throwing it out there as sort of a joke to test the waters a bit. But he wasn't serious yet. Then, Maddie shot the whole idea down, making him drop it all together.
That is exactly how I believe it went. Note David's dialogue in these subtitled screenshots from CHDp2, the episode whose main point was to show him becoming serious about proposing to and being married to Maddie.

I am 100% convinced he asked her with complete sincerity over the phone after getting her message when returning home from prison. Hence, the "Available Concept" I have put out there for a short story set between CHDp2 and FKL called, "Dial M for Maddie."

I know and I love your story!! It fills ina huge gap! Thank I you for writing it!

MoonlightingMagic

I've also wondered when he would have proposed. He tells her dad that he asked her and she said no but we never saw a proposal scene. So I have thought something like you say here, that maybe he didn't actually propose on one knee with a ring, but maybe he mentioned marriage and their future plans and maybe she said she wasn't sure or wasn't ready to talk marriage. And that could have happened while they were driving around that night. It also makes sense that she left partly because he was getting more serious about their future than she may have been comfortable with at the time. She needed time to think about whether or not she would really want to spend the rest of her life with David.
I don't think he asked her while driving around that night or they would have alluded to it somehow at the laundromat. Maddie left because she was unsure of his intentions - she wanted to know where the relationship was going so if he had asked her to marry him I think -even if she would have said no - she would have known how he felt and what he thought the future would bring. She was ambivalent about being with David for the long haul but in her confused mind she would have loved to have known that David had long term plans in mind.