Michael Cardone biography

Michael Cardone was working in an entry-level accounting position at Price Waterhouse in Manhattan when he first came to know David Addison.

The year was 1975 and it was a bitter cold Friday night in December when Michael made the last-minute decision to stop by the Old Town Pub on his way home from work. He took a seat at the bar next to two younger guys who were whooping it up watching a hockey game on the large television set that hung on the wall.

Michael, too, was a hockey fan, and being from Long Island, he was a huge fan of the New York Islanders. As it turned out, the two rowdy guys he just so happened to sit next to were originally from Philadelphia, so naturally they were die-hard Flyers fans. Those two young men were named David Addison and Jimmy Miller, and from that meeting, a solid friendship was formed.

Over the next couple of years, regardless of the sport, whenever New York would play against Philadelphia, the guys would get together for a little friendly sports fan rivalry. Other friends joined the group at times, namely Rick and Bill "Fish". They remained good friends until life took each of them in a different direction.

By the late 1970's, Michael had moved his way up the corporate ladder at Price Waterhouse and was responsible for auditing the books of some rather high-profile clients. His future looked bright until there was talk of possible tax fraud committed by one of his clients. No wrong-doing was ever proven, but Michael decided to escape the heat and leave Price Waterhouse for good.

In 1980, while still unemployed, Michael married Tara, a woman he dated for only a couple of months. She was from New Jersey, and so they moved into a modest two-bedroom house they rented in Hackensack. A year later, she gave birth to their twin daughters, Rachel and Rebecca.

Eventually, Michael opened his own small business where he worked out of his home preparing tax returns for individuals and local small businesses. One of his clients was his old buddy, Jimmy Miller. That is, until the day Jimmy drove his car into oncoming traffic on the New Jersey Turnpike, swerved and rolled down an embankment to his death.

Michael heard the news of Jimmy's death directly from his wife, and she asked if he would be kind enough to pass on the devastating news to Jimmy's friends. David Addison was the first person Michael called, followed by Rick and Bill.

It was Michael who suggested the guys all meet for drinks at the Old Town Pub, the very same bar where he first met both Jimmy and Dave. Sitting around the table, Michael couldn't help but feel a little more mature than the rest of the guys. He was, after all, the eldest of the group, by at least five years. With Bill being the one exception, Michael was the only one in the group who was married with children. He missed the camaraderie they all once shared. But he had a feeling they would all disband after the funeral and not see each other again until, well, probably another funeral.

Michael lived on with the regret that maybe he could have done something more to help his friend. All those times Jimmy called him at 4:30 in the morning, crying and depressed, not once did he suggest he go get help. Not once.

Michael would always miss his good friend, Jimmy Miller.
Last edited: