Making sense of Maddie in this episode

Marlena

From ATTTM... some great dialog here...

Dr. Joyce Brothers: What are the two of you like in bed? Is that a satisfying part of your relationship? Are you taking pleasure in it? Are your needs being fulfilled?

Maddie: Well, actually, that's the one thing that is great. Yeah, I mean, sure, I'm satisfied. I take pleasure, and my needs, or those needs are always fulfilled.

Dr. Joyce Brothers: Well then I don't get it, girl. What's the problem!?!

Last edited:
I kind of get Maddie in this episode. Her dream shows us that she is unsure of where their relationship is headed. And I am sure she never had such a hot and heavy physical relationship which led her feeling out of control and uncomfortable. AND since she is pregnant her hormones are all over the place. David should have planned better for their date! Maybe an intimate dinner for two - dressed up? And maybe this one time let what Maddie says go in one ear and out the other - he didn't have to dwell on the 'tests'. Just go with the flow for once without bickering. The scene at her door was absolutely the worst. David acted like a jerk.

I kind of get Maddie in this episode. Her dream shows us that she is unsure of where their relationship is headed. And I am sure she never had such a hot and heavy physical relationship which led her feeling out of control and uncomfortable. AND since she is pregnant her hormones are all over the place. David should have planned better for their date! Maybe an intimate dinner for two - dressed up? And maybe this one time let what Maddie says go in one ear and out the other - he didn't have to dwell on the 'tests'. Just go with the flow for once without bickering. The scene at her door was absolutely the worst. David acted like a jerk.
Up to the end of the Sam arc and in ATTTM I have lots of empathy for Maddie. David already knows that she likes her dates to make some effort - he needed to put some thought throughout that month about what Maddie really needed.

I totally agree! And if he couldn't plan a nice evening that quickly they could have waited a few days to go out. But you have a great point too about him not dwelling on what Maddie said for once.

Dr. Joyce Brothers: What are the two of you like in bed? Is that a satisfying part of your relationship? Are you taking pleasure in it? Are your needs being fulfilled?

Maddie: Well, actually, that's the one thing that is great. Yeah, I mean, sure, I'm satisfied. I take pleasure, and my needs, or those needs are always fulfilled.

Dr. Joyce Brothers: Well then, I don't get it
girl. What's the problem!?!

Up to the end of the Sam arc and in ATTM I have lots of empathy for Maddie. David already knows that she likes her dates to make some effort - he needed to put some thought throughout that month about what Maddie really needed.
I wish we could've seen some of that month, ya know? Every day for a month, to go from waking up saying, "I'm never going to do this again" to being in bed with him that night. Could it really have been that way for an entire month? I can't imagine that David was so shallow as to be solely focused on getting her in bed each night. He was in love with her, not just lusting after her at that point. He cared about her, not just the sex. There had to have been some "thoughtful effort" put in. Maybe Maddie was just blind to it. Plus, David seemed somewhat surprised by her behavior in ATTTM, so it's likely Maddie was not effectively communicating how she felt during that month 'til it all boiled over.

I guess Maddie just wanted more. She was afraid it was all about the sex and that worried her.
I may be in the minority here, but I think Maddie knew all along that it wasn't just about the sex with David, and that is what scared her. That it could be deeper than that. Sure, David lived in the moment and didn't plan for the future, but just because he didn't have a plan, doesn't mean he didn't want her to "live in the moment" with him for the rest of his life.

I wish we could've seen some of that month, ya know? Every day for a month, to go from waking up saying, "I'm never going to do this again" to being in bed with him that night. Could it really have been that way for an entire month? I can't imagine that David was so shallow as to be solely focused on getting her in bed each night. He was in love with her, not just lusting after her at that point. He cared about her, not just the sex. There had to have been some "thoughtful effort" put in. Maybe Maddie was just blind to it. Plus, David seemed somewhat surprised by her behavior in ATTTM, so it's likely Maddie was not effectively communicating how she felt during that month 'til it all boiled over.
I wish that too! Maybe since she seemed unsure of their relationship and she wanted to keep it a secret, he thought it was best if he didn't push her. She was the one who seemed to be denying what they had and didn't want people to see them together. So maybe he tried a few times to get her to go out and then just gave up. And as you said, she probably wasn't good at communicating how she felt until it just got to be too much for her to handle.

I may be in the minority here, but I think Maddie knew all along that it wasn't just about the sex with David, and that is what scared her. That it could be deeper than that. Sure, David lived in the moment and didn't plan for the future, but just because he didn't have a plan, doesn't mean he didn't want her to "live in the moment" with him for the rest of his life.
I actually think maybe she knew it was more than sex for him and that he really did love her, but she wasn't sure of her feelings for him. So when I say she was worried it was just sex, I meant for her, not him. Even on the train she told Walter that she wanted David, she didn't seem to have any doubt about that. But did she want him in a long term, serious relationship? That seemed to me to be where her doubts were.

I actually think maybe she knew it was more than sex for him and that he really did love her, but she wasn't sure of her feelings for him. So when I say she was worried it was just sex, I meant for her, not him. Even on the train she told Walter that she wanted David, she didn't seem to have any doubt about that. But did she want him in a long term, serious relationship? That seemed to me to be where her doubts were.
I want to just clarify and say that she did love him and she knew that.
One thing I wonder is why was she so against telling people that they were together? Was she really that embarrassed by her feelings for him? Or was it because she was his boss?

One thing I wonder is why was she so against telling people that they were together? Was she really that embarrassed by her feelings for him? Or was it because she was his boss?
She was embarrassed about him. He wasn't the type of man she ever imagined she would want to be with. I guess she was still worried about appearances. She had this image that she would eventually marry some professional man, and David didn't fit this image.

She was embarrassed about him. He wasn't the type of man she ever imagined she would want to be with. I guess she was still worried about appearances. She had this image that she would eventually marry some professional man, and David didn't fit this image.
That's pretty much what I figured. But everyone was rooting for them. It's sad that she felt that way. :(

She was not embarrassed by David. She was ashamed that the wobblies would think she was just another notch on his belt. She didn't want them to think that she was just one of this conquests. Remember they all thought David was a ladies man and player.

I don't think that was it at all. He wasn't some unemployed bum of the street. Sure he did things that made her cringe but she told Walter that she loved that about him. She was just embarrassed that people could sense how hot and heavy they were in bed lol

Dr. Joyce Brothers: Well then I don't get it, girl. What's the problem!?!

Not "good", but "great"...

Sorry late to the party again…just my opinion….

I think she was embarrassed that being in a relationship with David would make her look vulnerable to the employees. I think she liked the Ice Queen Boss image. A relationship is a compromise and Maddie was the boss who never did. It would ruin her image with the Wobblies.

I also just think If Maddie isn’t in control, she loses control. She loved David wildly and I think on many levels she knew that but it also scared the hell out of her.

Back