Maddie falling asleep in David's bed

So I think the show worked with a pregnancy and I think it would have worked with a baby too. I think Glenn thought that too. I firmly believe that Glenn could’ve completely manipulated it so it was believable, honest funny and not at all cheesy.
I don't know about that. Glenn was still part of the show when Cybill got pregnant and I don't think he did a very good job. He especially screwed up when he had Maddie marry Walter and think the baby was Sam's. If he hadn't done that, then maybe Cybill wouldn't have been so angry and he could have stayed on the show. I'm not exactly sure why she wanted him to leave, but I do think the Walter story was part of the problem. She felt like he didn't value her input and was making her character look really bad. And did he do that just to get back at her for getting pregnant? Who knows.

I don't know about that. Glenn was still part of the show when Cybill got pregnant and I don't think he did a very good job. He especially screwed up when he had Maddie marry Walter and think the baby was Sam's. If he hadn't done that, then maybe Cybill wouldn't have been so angry and he could have stayed on the show. I'm not exactly sure why she wanted him to leave, but I do think the Walter story was part of the problem. She felt like he didn't value her input and was making her character look really bad. And did he do that just to get back at her for getting pregnant? Who knows.
Yes, by this time, it's hard to know exactly what happened. Glenn isn't going to admit he did it deliberately.... He'll just claim that it was an error of judgement . And he also doesn't take responsibility for how much that error ruined the show.

I don't think she was actually sleeping at all. I think she was just faking it to justify being there at that time. That yawn wasn't convincing, was it? It was a dreadful scene, anyway. Everything had gone. I was only watching out of habit, really. 30-odd years later, these episodes are fascinating in a grim sort of way, but that scene is still hard to watch.

I think that the writers, producers, etc. underestimate any actor's input. I can understand them being dismissive of an actor who is clearly just trying to beef up their part or act out their own fantasies, but these actors invest a lot in their characters, and they probably know them better than anybody. Also, with Cybill being an ex-model, she would know better than anyone what made ex-model Maddie tick. I think her concerns on Moonlighting were mostly justified and right, but I think her judgment was suspect by the time of Cybill, going by her own autobiography. She was trying to make it over into the world that she wanted, a sort of skewed PC agenda ("Sometimes, audiences laugh for the wrong reason." - really?). Alan Alda ruined M*A*S*H in exactly the same way. Another thing I didn't like was when she said that being bound up in ropes in 'Atomic Shakespeare' signalled violence against women, yet she never complained once about all the punches, slaps, shoves and kicks Maddie subjected David to. But I think she's wrong, really. I never thought that when I watched 'Atomic Shakespeare', nor did I really care about the violence toward David, because it wasn't real. That's why you have to be careful going down that route, because it's easy to say, "Well, what about you? What about when you did this?" And before you know it, you can't say anything, or do anything, and the fun goes out of everything. Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

I think if the show was a drama, I could see it working out if the baby was Sam's because of the complications that would present for Maddie and David's relationship. But being the dramedy that it was, I think that any comedic moments with the baby would've been funnier and more heartfelt if the baby was David's.

I forget who wrote it, but someone wrote on here recently that they thought it unlikely that Glenn ever intended for Maddie and David to end up in a domestic type situation. I have always thought that way, too. I think when Cybill got pregnant and they chose to make Maddie pregnant, the show just snowballed into something Glenn probably never intended for it to be.
I agree about the domestic situation. That would have been too humdrum for Maddie and David as entertaining characters, which is why I never wanted them to get together until the very end of the show, because you have to either have them go down that domestic route or split up, which they did and it wasn't a lot of fun, was it? Also, they exasperated each other at work, so could you imagine them at home?

I don't think she was actually sleeping at all. I think she was just faking it to justify being there at that time. That yawn wasn't convincing, was it? It was a dreadful scene, anyway. Everything had gone. I was only watching out of habit, really. 30-odd years later, these episodes are fascinating in a grim sort of way, but that scene is still hard to watch.
What scene are you talking about?

I agree about the domestic situation. That would have been too humdrum for Maddie and David as entertaining characters, which is why I never wanted them to get together until the very end of the show, because you have to either have them go down that domestic route or split up, which they did and it wasn't a lot of fun, was it? Also, they exasperated each other at work, so could you imagine them at home?
Splitting up one time would have been acceptable if the goal was to put them back together again at the very end. Have them go on after the breakup pretending they're over each other but have them still get jealous if the other was interested in another person. Keep showing that the spark is still there but their different personalities made them think they couldn't be together. They can still have doubts but without the craziness of Walter and the hurtfulness of Annie. I think *maybe* that could have worked for one more season and then end the show with them realizing that they can't live without each other and them having grown as characters and are finally able to compromise and make their relationship work somehow. Instead we got two seasons of them hurting each other. It was a painful ride to the end.

Last edited:
Back