Is David an impossible choice for a life partner?

BlueMoon

I am reading what everyone is writing on here, and you all have valid points. But, I wanted to throw this question out there.

If Maddie (or any other woman) had truly committed to David to the point of marrying him and/or having a family with him, how do you think that would've changed him in terms of being a life partner?
I think David pretty consistently took his personal commitments to others very seriously. He was never going to lose that carefree attitude all together (which I can totally see could get infuriating at times), but he would be there when it really mattered, ready to make hard sacrifices for those who counted on him.

By the end of S4 Maddie had to have known that. I think she more struggled with accepting that she wanted someone who didn’t fit into a predictable life. She knew David was capable of making a great life partner-one who could make someone incredibly happy, despite his more frustrating qualities. It is why she always got so jealous at the thought of him with someone else. She couldn’t fully decide on what she wanted her own life to look like, but she couldn’t really walk away either.

FanofMoonlighting

I think David pretty consistently took his personal commitments to others very seriously. He was never going to lose that carefree attitude all together (which I can totally see could get infuriating at times), but he would be there when it really mattered, ready to make hard sacrifices for those who counted on him.

By the end of S4 Maddie had to have known that. I think she more struggled with accepting that she wanted someone who didn’t fit into a predictable life. She knew David was capable of making a great life partner-one who could make someone incredibly happy, despite his more frustrating qualities. It is why she always got so jealous at the thought of him with someone else. She couldn’t fully decide on what she wanted her own life to look like, but she couldn’t really walk away either.
Right, she did seem to start to accept David for who he was at the end of S4. She seemed like she really regretted what she had done and wanted to start over with David and try again. But he was the one who was hesitant at the point (understandably). Then of course S5 changed all that and made her push him away again, I guess because of the tragedy of the baby.

BlueMoon

Right, she did seem to start to accept David for who he was at the end of S4. She seemed like she really regretted what she had done and wanted to start over with David and try again. But he was the one who was hesitant at the point (understandably). Then of course S5 changed all that and made her push him away again, I guess because of the tragedy of the baby.
Yes, so sad. Maddie had finally settled on what she wanted and then it was taken away before it started. It gave her doubts all over again.

MoonlightingMagic

Okay so the way I see David is the way I tend to write him in my fanfiction…

He’s a loner but he’s deep and emotional and he’s looking for a place to belong. He’s identified his place to belong and that’s with Maddie and the fact that she keeps screwing up his plan is what has driven him crazy and provokes him into doing crazy things out of character like sleep with Annie.

But otherwise he doesn’t really care much about anything else.

I know this is weird but Billy Joel wrote Big Man on Mulberry Street for moonlighting and I think it’s kind of a cool character interpretation of David. The last line of the song is “what if nobody finds out who I am.” I think it’s a really telling and insightful look at David Addison . He’s a loner but he’s capable of wild love and would be loyal to a fault to the person who loves him wildly back. That’s what he wants with Maddie. He need her to live him wildly back. And that’s how I tend to write him.
what is your fanfic name?