Irma Addison

FanofMoonlighting

I always wondered why his mother wasn't talked about much at all. I also thought that beginning part where they said she died was a joke and wasn't really what happened to his mom 🤷‍♀️ That always confused me.

northernlight

Yes, she was only ever mentioned rarely and in passing (the blackout story in 'Next Stop Murder'), and I don't remember her, or his father and stepmother for that matter, being mentioned at all after TSAR, though I could be wrong. Even in Mulberry Street's backstory, his parents aren't mentioned at all.

Marlena

MoonlightingMagic, yeah, I always assumed that, too. I wonder if maybe somebody wrote that in a fanfic once, and it sort of became what I really thought happened. I always thought that David Sr. had to raise Richie and David on his own, at least once they got into their teen years. I feel like that was part of what their family issues were all about.

For me, the line between the Original Series and the fanfiction sometimes gets blurred. Probably because some fanfiction is so well-written, that you picture it in your head as if CS and BW actually acted it out.

Either that, or I'm just losing it as I age.

FanofMoonlighting

MoonlightingMagic, yeah, I always assumed that, too. I wonder if maybe somebody wrote that in a fanfic once, and it sort of became what I really thought happened. I always thought that David Sr. had to raise Richie and David on his own, at least once they got into their teen years. I feel like that was part of what their family issues were all about.

For me, the line between the Original Series and the fanfiction sometimes gets blurred. Probably because some fanfiction is so well-written, that you picture it in your head as if CS and BW actually acted it out.

That happens to me too! Lol! I do think it was written in a fanfiction that his mom died when he was younger. I don't think it was said in the show, especially since they pretended his mom died at the beginning of this episode, but I could be wrong.

Quest

I think his Mom passing in beginning of episode was a joke. Had the do with Emmy shutout

MoonlightingMagic

My fanfic has David's mom dying when he was a boy.

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
David losing his mother at a young age is common to much ML fanfiction and is one of only two cases thus far where I will accept an EU premise over what is contradictorily represented by the OS (in this case, as a joke). The other is Virtual Moonlighting's assertion that EKNM ended differently and LE never happened.

I LOVE that the OS/EU line is blurring. They are one.

MoonlightingMagic

In page 61, section 154 of the TSAR script, David's father (there named "Charles") mentions "the divorce", but since that conversation never made it into the finished episode (like "Charles"), it need not be regarded as canon.

I just submitted the Available Concept "RIGL (Rolling in Grave Laughing)" to clarify the Irma Addison situation from an EU perspective.
Glad they changed his name because the David Addison/David Addison quips and phone calls etc were funny! David Addison, I presume lol