"I'm married."

Sandra

So, I was thinking...a lot of people consider Maddie telling David that she's married the 'jump the shark' moment. I'm going to play a 'what if' game. What if the marriage to Walter hadn't happened? Could Maddie and David reconciling in TOMT have saved Moonlighting? Would it have left us with a more satisfying ending? Could they have gotten back on track now that both stars were back on the show?

For me, in a way, this scene is the beginning of the end. As the show progresses, David becomes more cold and callous with each episode. Finally, he's at his worst in the Annie arc. So, let me ask you again: Do you think the moment when Maddie tells David that she's married, and the baby is not his, sets the whole thing off?

Marlena

That moment was awful. We didn't need Walter, or the "it's not yours" comment, in order for them to have obstacles in getting back together. Obviously in order for the show to remain interesting to viewers, there need to be challenges for M & D to face. But Walter and "it's not yours" were so hurtful...to M & D...and to us, the viewers.

This is when the show started to lose its "heart". The heart rate was slowing down as we progressed through Season 5, and by the time Annie arrives, there's barely a pulse.

I so wish we could have had Maddie return to David... because she wanted to be with David. They should have been able to work out their problems without those horrible plot twists.

FanofMoonlighting

That moment was awful. We didn't need Walter, or the "it's not yours" comment, in order for them to have obstacles in getting back together. Obviously in order for the show to remain interesting to viewers, there need to be challenges for M & D to face. But Walter and "it's not yours" were so hurtful...to M & D...and to us, the viewers.

This is when the show started to lose its "heart". The heart rate was slowing down as we progressed through Season 5, and by the time Annie arrives, there's barely a pulse.

I so wish we could have had Maddie return to David... because she wanted to be with David. They should have been able to work out their problems without those horrible plot twists.
I agree with this. But I also think that if whoever was in charge of Season 5 really wanted them to be together they could have been brought together during this last Season, even with the Walter story. But he obviously was not needed and didn't help the show at all.

Quest

He should have listened to her. Actors live in their character's skin. Maddie never would have married Walter in that quickie Las Vegas wedding.

Do you remember how horrified she was when David teased her that he had to marry that tuba player he spent weekend with?

It infuriates me when characters are written "out of character". Maddie and David were portrayed very differently after Season 3. In Season 5, they were completely unrecognizable at times.

Why did writers sabotage their own show?

FanofMoonlighting

He should have listened to her. Actors live in their character's skin. Maddie never would have married Walter in that quickie Las Vegas wedding.

Do you remember how horrified she was when David teased her that he had to marry that tuba player he spent weekend with?

It infuriates me when characters are written "out of character". Maddie and David were portrayed very differently after Season 3. In Season 5, they were completely unrecognizable at times.

Why did writers sabotage their own show?
I guess they were just done with it at that point. Very sad. Or they didn't know what they were doing.

FanofMoonlighting

It was totally out of character. I often wondered what was wrong with Walter, too? What mentally healthy person behaves this way?
I know! He seemed like a nice, normal guy. But why would he ask her to marry him after only knowing her for a day, and after she told him all about her relationship with David and how confused she was? And what woman with any sense would invite a stranger to live in her house? He could have been a murderer or rapist or thief!

MoonlightingMagic

I know! He seemed like a nice, normal guy. But why would he ask her to marry him after only knowing her for a day, and after she told him all about her relationship with David and how confused she was? And what woman with any sense would invite a stranger to live in her house? He could have been a murderer or rapist or thief!
Yes he was a weirdo.

I always thought if they wanted to keep the conflict, they had enough to work with without Walter. Marrying Walter was unforgivable, for really everyone. David, the viewer… I feel like if Maddie got the wrong impression about Terri, and then she somehow found out about Rita, there was enough there to make equal crimes between them and the “clean slates” idea would make more sense. Also, if she was really worried about Sam being the actual father and she wanted to “save” David, Maddie would be less to blame and more sympathetic… but really Walter was close to impossible to come back from.

northernlight

I remember dreading this Walter person becoming a part of the fixtures and fittings. I just didn't like him at all. He wasn't in Maddie's league, or even Agnes'. Most important of all, there was no need for him. I had a similar reaction to Viola, but I was wrong about that, even though I never warmed to him (and still haven't much). And as many here have pointed out, it was well out of character for Maddie to do such a senseless thing, and those who had viewed the show from the beginning knew these characters well enough to know that. Maddie marrying a stranger (and a dippy and unattractive stranger at that) and moving him into her home was beyond stupid. Even David's coldness and bitterness after this was at least understandable and believable, even if we didn't like it.