How the Original Series ended + What's next...

UnderMoonlight

I have a feeling Cybill really did try to fight for Maddie and David to have some type of closure that the fans would have been happy with. Its a shame that it seemed by the time season 5 came, it was like everyone just gave up on it, and they ended it so rushed and no longer cared about the characters.

Its also such a shame that so much time has passed. Oh how I wish they would do some type of reunion or anything really. But I dont think it will ever happen now. :(

FanofMoonlighting

I have a feeling Cybill really did try to fight for Maddie and David to have some type of closure that the fans would have been happy with. Its a shame that it seemed by the time season 5 came, it was like everyone just gave up on it, and they ended it so rushed and no longer cared about the characters.

Its also such a shame that so much time has passed. Oh how I wish they would do some type of reunion or anything really. But I dont think it will ever happen now. :(
I'm not sure where I read that she said the show should have ended like that, but she definitely said she thought the baby should have lived. She didn't think Dave and Maddie should have gotten married, but they could have lived next door to each other. :)
A reunion would have been so cool. I guess it's too late now, even though Cybill was still talking about it a few years ago. But I think if they were going to do it, it would have happened by now.

UnderMoonlight

I'm not sure where I read that she said the show should have ended like that, but she definitely said she thought the baby should have lived. She didn't think Dave and Maddie should have gotten married, but they could have lived next door to each other. :)
A reunion would have been so cool. I guess it's too late now, even though Cybill was still talking about it a few years ago. But I think if they were going to do it, it would have happened by now.
I love that Cybill still has such love for Moonlighting. I think she would happily do a reunion. I kinda wish Bruce hadnt become such a big star. His time is now worth so much, and I dont think he is willing to spend much of it going back to Moonlighting. Im so glad he did some commentaries for the dvds though.

I really wish we could do some type of campain for Moonlighting Blu Rays. Not sure how it could happen, but it would be a way of getting possibly more extras.

FanofMoonlighting

I love that Cybill still has such love for Moonlighting. I think she would happily do a reunion. I kinda wish Bruce hadnt become such a big star. His time is now worth so much, and I dont think he is willing to spend much of it going back to Moonlighting. Im so glad he did some commentaries for the dvds though.

I really wish we could do some type of campain for Moonlighting Blu Rays. Not sure how it could happen, but it would be a way of getting possibly more extras.
Scott Ryan, who wrote the Moonlighting book, asked Glenn if he could get the show on Blu Ray. Glenn said he'd look into it. But who knows if he really will or be able to get it done. It would be nice if they could make some new extras, maybe new commentaries or a small clip of Cybill and Bruce as Dave and Maddie now introducing the show and saying what they've been up to all these years. I'm not really expecting it to happen though. Bruce definitely seems to have an issue with the show (or maybe working with Cybill?). :(

UnderMoonlight

Scott Ryan, who wrote the Moonlighting book, asked Glenn if he could get the show on Blu Ray. Glenn said he'd look into it. But who knows if he really will or be able to get it done. It would be nice if they could make some new extras, maybe new commentaries or a small clip of Cybill and Bruce as Dave and Maddie now introducing the show and saying what they've been up to all these years. I'm not really expecting it to happen though. Bruce definitely seems to have an issue with the show (or maybe working with Cybill?). :(
It really would be fantastic to have the blu rays. I mean the show was so popular and still is today. There are far less popular tv and film that make it to Blu ray. Just gotta hope I suppose. Its a shame we cant do anything to make it more likely to happen.

I dont think Bruce and Cybill have any issues now. I could be wrong, but Cybill speaks about him fondly, they did the commentaries together and she was on his roast in 2018. They seemed happy to see each other. I think whatever issues they did have, they put to rest a while ago. I think it could just be that Bruce is so massive in the industry, that he expects alot for his time which hes not gonna get doing extras for Moonlighting.

I heard that when he was asked to do another Expendables movie, he asked for 4 million to do 4 days work. 😬😬 Unless your saving peoples lives, I dont believe anyone is worth that amount of money for that time.

FanofMoonlighting

It really would be fantastic to have the blu rays. I mean the show was so popular and still is today. There are far less popular tv and film that make it to Blu ray. Just gotta hope I suppose. Its a shame we cant do anything to make it more likely to happen.

I dont think Bruce and Cybill have any issues now. I could be wrong, but Cybill speaks about him fondly, they did the commentaries together and she was on his roast in 2018. They seemed happy to see each other. I think whatever issues they did have, they put to rest a while ago. I think it could just be that Bruce is so massive in the industry, that he expects alot for his time which hes not gonna get doing extras for Moonlighting.

I heard that when he was asked to do another Expendables movie, he asked for 4 million to do 4 days work. 😬😬 Unless your saving peoples lives, I dont believe anyone is worth that amount of money for that time.
Cybill does speak fondly of him, but I haven't heard him speak about her much, so I don't know how he feels about her or Moonlighting. I just wish that since he has so much money, and he's friends with Glenn, he would be willing to work on the show for a short time for not much money. I can't understand actors that don't seem to appreciate the parts (and the fans) that made them famous. But we don't know the whole story. Maybe Glen is the one who hasn't come up with an idea for the show or doesn't want to do it.
That is an insane amount of money for 4 days work! Is he really still worth that much?

northernlight

You have to be careful in what you wish for, really, because an actual revisiting would probably take something away from what we already have. I think that goes double for original fans, who watched things unfolding as they were actually happening, so Moonlighting is almost like a precious time capsule for those of us who were young at the time. I can't speak for the many fans who have discovered it since and love the programme just for itself, without any of the nostalgic baggage. I always think it's nice to look back (I do a lot of that generally), but to actually try and go back is another thing entirely. Think how much fun we have now discussing and dissecting this show and going off on so many tangents about what might have been or could have happened and how much of it might be lost by trying to recreate that elusive magic, with people who no longer look they did (who does?). Everything in life that you enjoyed along the way is like a keepsake - it's never gone, it's always a part of you. But taking it out of time and context is never a good idea. Genies just don't go back into bottles, so I think those of us who were fans at the time are very lucky to have been so, and newer fans are very to have discovered it at all. And that is why sites like this exist.

FanofMoonlighting

You have to be careful in what you wish for, really, because an actual revisiting would probably take something away from what we already have. I think that goes double for original fans, who watched things unfolding as they were actually happening, so Moonlighting is almost like a precious time capsule for those of us who were young at the time. I can't speak for the many fans who have discovered it since and love the programme just for itself, without any of the nostalgic baggage. I always think it's nice to look back (I do a lot of that generally), but to actually try and go back is another thing entirely. Think how much fun we have now discussing and dissecting this show and going off on so many tangents about what might have been or could have happened and how much of it might be lost by trying to recreate that elusive magic, with people who no longer look they did (who does?). Everything in life that you enjoyed along the way is like a keepsake - it's never gone, it's always a part of you. But taking it out of time and context is never a good idea. Genies just don't go back into bottles, so I think those of us who were fans at the time are very lucky to have been so, and newer fans are very to have discovered it at all. And that is why sites like this exist.
I am torn between wanting closure and not wanting to change the show or be disappointed by a reunion that doesn't live up to my expectations. I was a fan when it first aired, but I don't remember much of Season 5 or the last episode from back then, so I think I may have lost interest then, especially when the timeslot changed. I still think it would be nice to see them on screen again, even just to say a few words about what David and Maddie have been doing all these years. It doesn't have to be a whole episode or movie, just a quick hello and small conversation between them. I know they look different, but that's ok with me. It's like seeing relatives that you haven't seen in so long and catch up with them. I don't mind if they look older, I just like to see them again and hear about their lives. It could be an introduction they make for the Blu Rays (if that ever happens) and only has to be a few minutes. If some people don't want to watch it, they don't have to. :)

Marlena

northernlight, you put this perfectly. I think anything new for "Maddie & David" would end up being a disappointment. By this I mean Cybill and Bruce appearing on-screen as Maddie and David. But if Cybill and Bruce ever wanted to get together for a Moonlighting Q&A, autograph signing... something like what other actors have done at things like New York Comic Con or Wizard World conventions, I think that would be perfect. Also, if they would be willing to be interviewed together, that would be perfect, too. The only problem I have is that when they've been interviewed together, like for the DVD, they seem averse to being with each other. I know there have been hugs, like on the DVD and at the BW Roast, but to me, the affection just doesn't seem real. I think Cybill would love to be able to have a relationship with him, but I just don't think it goes the other way. I don't see any real heartfelt fondness coming from Bruce towards Cybill.

I wish these two would get over the issues they had with each other. Whatever those issues were. Just get over it. And appreciate the fact that they were both a part of this amazing show.

Sandra

Whether there are issues between BW and CS or not, I have to agree with northernlight. Yes, the ending was not what we hoped for... and yet, there are endless possibilities with it. We can imagine in our head which direction Maddie and David took after the cameras stopped rolling. As soon as we put these two back together on screen, everything we've imagined and created because of that imagination will be turned into something different. It could be a good thing, but yes.. the blissful vacuum that contains Moonlighting will be broken. Like Glenn Gordon Caron always said: 'It was like catching lightning in a bottle.' Let's leave the lightning there and not unleash it.

northernlight

northernlight, you put this perfectly. I think anything new for "Maddie & David" would end up being a disappointment. By this I mean Cybill and Bruce appearing on-screen as Maddie and David. But if Cybill and Bruce ever wanted to get together for a Moonlighting Q&A, autograph signing... something like what other actors have done at things like New York Comic Con or Wizard World conventions, I think that would be perfect. Also, if they would be willing to be interviewed together, that would be perfect, too. The only problem I have is that when they've been interviewed together, like for the DVD, they seem averse to being with each other. I know there have been hugs, like on the DVD and at the BW Roast, but to me, the affection just doesn't seem real. I think Cybill would love to be able to have a relationship with him, but I just don't think it goes the other way. I don't see any real heartfelt fondness coming from Bruce towards Cybill.

I wish these two would get over the issues they had with each other. Whatever those issues were. Just get over it. And appreciate the fact that they were both a part of this amazing show.
That would be good, Marlena, because it wouldn't be an attempt to recreate something that could never be recreated, but more like a legacy thing that they could both enjoy and be proud of (the fans too), because they both have a lot to proud of where Moonlighting is concerned. It was the best vehicle either one of them will ever have, if you think about it: every form of comedy from slapstick to really sophisticated stuff, drama, poignancy, singing, dancing, etc., and great dialogue. I think Cybill now sees that, but maybe Bruce prefers to keep his thoughts to himself. Cybill is quite chatty and has written her autobiography, whereas Bruce seems to prefer keeping his cards close to his chest and I can't see him ever writing his own life story. I don't think he holds any grudges, though, or I suspect not. I remember him saying once on a UK chat show how grueling the whole schedule was and how only he and Cybill will ever know what it was really like, which seemed like a little bit of team spirit at least. I just don't think he's the nicest of people, to be honest, and maybe that's what bled though in the David Addison of S5.

It would be nice if they could bask in everything they achieved together in Moonlighting. After all, it is over thirty years ago now (hard to believe, I know) and time is short. It's always later than we realise and that's all the more reason for enjoying the good things while we can. I hope to be enjoying this great show until they're screwing down my coffin lid, because I've got so many happy memories of it. Watching it has always been a real blast and it never gets old. I still love it and so glad I'm far from being the only one.

Marlena

That would be good, Marlena, because it wouldn't be an attempt to recreate something that could never be recreated, but more like a legacy thing that they could both enjoy and be proud of (the fans too), because they both have a lot to proud of where Moonlighting is concerned. It was the best vehicle either one of them will ever have, if you think about it: every form of comedy from slapstick to really sophisticated stuff, drama, poignancy, singing, dancing, etc., and great dialogue. I think Cybill now sees that, but maybe Bruce prefers to keep his thoughts to himself. Cybill is quite chatty and has written her autobiography, whereas Bruce seems to prefer keeping his cards close to his chest and I can't see him ever writing his own life story. I don't think he holds any grudges, though, or I suspect not. I remember him saying once on a UK chat show how grueling the whole schedule was and how only he and Cybill will ever know what it was really like, which seemed like a little bit of team spirit at least. I just don't think he's the nicest of people, to be honest, and maybe that's what bled though in the David Addison of S5.

It would be nice if they could bask in everything they achieved together in Moonlighting. After all, it is over thirty years ago now (hard to believe, I know) and time is short. It's always later than we realise and that's all the more reason for enjoying the good things while we can. I hope to be enjoying this great show until they're screwing down my coffin lid, because I've got so many happy memories of it. Watching it has always been a real blast and it never gets old. I still love it and so glad I'm far from being the only one.
We are definitely on the same page, northernlight. I agree with all of this.

Marlena

Whether there are issues between BW and CS or not, I have to agree with northernlight. Yes, the ending was not what we hoped for... and yet, there are endless possibilities with it. We can imagine in our head which direction Maddie and David took after the cameras stopped rolling. As soon as we put these two back together on screen, everything we've imagined and created because of that imagination will be turned into something different. It could be a good thing, but yes.. the blissful vacuum that contains Moonlighting will be broken. Like Glenn Gordon Caron always said: 'It was like catching lightning in a bottle.' Let's leave the lightning there and not unleash it.
Same here, Sandra, we are definitely on the same page. Leave the lightning in the bottle.

UnderMoonlight

Cybill does speak fondly of him, but I haven't heard him speak about her much, so I don't know how he feels about her or Moonlighting. I just wish that since he has so much money, and he's friends with Glenn, he would be willing to work on the show for a short time for not much money. I can't understand actors that don't seem to appreciate the parts (and the fans) that made them famous. But we don't know the whole story. Maybe Glen is the one who hasn't come up with an idea for the show or doesn't want to do it.
That is an insane amount of money for 4 days work! Is he really still worth that much?
I totally agree with you on this. It seems to be a common thing though. When actors are propelled into stardom and become these huge names in Hollywood and around the world, some of them turn their backs on what it was that made it happen. Bruce to a certain extent is clearly one of those people. It makes me sad, because I thought Bruce was better than that. That he wouldnt be one of those people that lets fame get to his head. :/

UnderMoonlight

I can totally understand your view on this. It makes perfect sense. I was born in 1991, and I didnt see the show until I was 13. So I wasnt an orginal viewer.

I guess I am just one of these people that would be over the moon to see an update from Maddie and David, as long as they were together. Just some small 2 min skit of them bickering in their house or something would be cute. Nothing that would ruin all the brilliant stories the fans have made over the years. But like you say, you cant guarentee that they wouldnt ruin the magic by making anything thats Maddie and David present day. So yes when it comes to the characters, they are better left as they were back in 1989. I would hate to risk the potential let down, and I am pretty sure this is a near impossible thing that could happen anyways. Which is for the best.

But, more than that, I would prefer to see Bruce and Cybill interacting and talking more about the show and telling us things we dont know. That would be what I would want the most. I can live without seeing Maddie and David. As like you pointed out, the ending wasnt great but it gave us material to create many more stories.

UnderMoonlight

Which hug is it you are speaking of when you say on the dvd?? As far as I know, the only hug they have had since the show ended was on the roast. Id love to see if there has been more.

Marlena

Boink, if you can post a clearer screenshot of this hug, you can scrap the blurry ones I took with my phone.

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
Which hug is it you are speaking of when you say on the dvd?? As far as I know, the only hug they have had since the show ended was on the roast. Id love to see if there has been more.
The hug is at the end of the "Memories of Moonlighting" special feature on Moonlighting, Season 3, Disc 4.

For the record, I cannot imagine any in-character reunion at this point topping the above out-of-character hug and exit, unless it is kept brief, light-hearted, and respectful. Something along the lines of how these commercials handled the Vacation movies and E.T. decades later...

Marlena

I agree with you, Boink, something lighthearted and fun done as a nod to what was great about Moonlighting during its heyday (Seasons 1,2,3) would be perfect.

Regarding the hug from "Memories of Moonlighting", thank you for the nice, clear screenshots! In one of the screenshots you can see a person taking a photo of BW and CS. I've never seen a photo printed anywhere from that interview session. Too bad they didn't arrange to do a photo session together that day. How cool would it have been if there was a joint BW & CS interview and photo spread in a popular magazine at the time, like People, or Us...

Or "We"... one of those pronoun magazines (to borrow a line from David Addison)