Hospital End Scene…what’s resolved??

Davidsmaddie

So I have always struggled with what I want to believe the scene is about to what the scene is really about. I’m curious about everybody’s opinion. A few questions…

1) Is it a big deal to David that she wishes the baby was his? It kind of doesn’t seem that way. It kind of makes it seem like she saying to him the baby not being yours set off a series of terrible events that I regret. But if the baby was yours I would be with you and not married to Walter”. Am I reading into that?

2) The package deal comment, that is him just being funny? I don’t want to influence what other people think so I just want to ask your opinion that that part.

3) I know we know that he hedges in and the next episode “Flesh was made word…” But when you guys first watched this episode did you believe that they were back together after this scene?
Love to debate this stuff!!

Great questions!
  1. That Maddie wishes the baby was David's would mean a lot more to him if she had behaved in such a manner. Actions speak louder than words.
  2. "A package deal" is David's way of literally reaching out to Maddie without acting like all was forgiven.
  3. Yes. ATFWMW created a very real sense for me that David, Maddie, and Moonlighting were finally ready (and would have been able) to sweep the obstacles of season 4 under the rug and pick up where THH had left off. At this point, I did believe they would resume growing ever so cautiously (as was their m.o.) closer to each other and their happily ever after.

So I have always struggled with what I want to believe the scene is about to what the scene is really about. I’m curious about everybody’s opinion. A few questions…

1) Is it a big deal to David that she wishes the baby was his? It kind of doesn’t seem that way. It kind of makes it seem like she saying to him the baby not being yours set off a series of terrible events that I regret. But if the baby was yours I would be with you and not married to Walter”. Am I reading into that?

2) The package deal comment, that is him just being funny? I don’t want to influence what other people think so I just want to ask your opinion that that part.

3) I know we know that he hedges in and the next episode “Flesh was made word…” But when you guys first watched this episode did you believe that they were back together after this scene?
Love to debate this stuff!!
Love these questions, Danielle!

1. I think they both wish the baby was his, but I think she's hoping it will be meaningful to him if she says that in that moment. It almost comes off as part of her apology to him. Like maybe he'll forgive her because she told him that. But to him, I don't think the paternity of the baby was the issue. He loved her, and would've loved her (and the baby) whether he was the father or not. I think that's why he seems disconnected from her in that scene. He would've loved her either way, and it hurts his heart that she doesn't seem to understand that about him.

2. I never felt that the "package deal" comment was him being funny. To me, it was just him letting her know that he wants her and accepts the situation they are in, which is that she comes with this little baby... maybe it's his, maybe it's not, but he's okay with that. I think he was extending an olive branch to her.

3. Absolutely, I thought they were back together after the ending scene in ATFWMW. All the fanfic that I've written, starting with "You and Me Tuesday", is based off of the fact that I believe they got back together after that episode. I believe that time period leading up to when she lost the baby... it was probably their happiest time together. The proof of that is the way they look at each when they are dancing together in AWWAV.

Danielle,
Marlena's second reply to this question made me realize you probably were referring to MHGM and not ATFWMW. Sorry for my confusion.

While Maddie finally came to her senses and opened up to David in MHGM, he very reasonably needed one more episode to do the same in ATFWMW. Yes, I was hopeful after MHGM, but both episodes (and all of their breakthrough moments) were/are required in my mind to really cement that hope.

I see David in that hospital scene as being heartsick...at the way that sham wedding turned out, even though it was his idea, at the ludicrous chase scene and the circus around Terri's delivery. He's just exhausted by the day and all those raging emotions. The fact that Maddie finally came to her senses can't really make up for everything she put them all through.

Love all these answers…

1) I agree that David kind of already came to terms with the baby not being his and wanted to be with her either way. I also think he was holding out some hope that the baby was truly his. I just wonder if he thought that Maddie would rather have Sams baby. Im not sure if there would be a better reaction than what he gave, I just sometimes questions my own perceptions.

2) I also think this was David telling her she and the baby are a package deal and he’s okay with that. He’s wants them both.

3) I wanted to believe at the end of Maddie Hayes got married that they are together. But I always wondered if that was just me projecting! Lol

But in the next episode “Flesh….”there are a few changes in the script that totally confirm that they were together according to the writers. The clean slate speech escalates slightly to David wanting to move in together and I think they backtracked on that story line because they knew they would not be able to tell it correctly because of the writers strike.
These two are so hard to analyze!!

Love all these answers…

1) I agree that David kind of already came to terms with the baby not being his and wanted to be with her either way. I also think he was holding out some hope that the baby was truly his. I just wonder if he thought that Maddie would rather have Sams baby. Im not sure if there would be a better reaction than what he gave, I just sometimes questions my own perceptions.

2) I also think this was David telling her she and the baby are a package deal and he’s okay with that. He’s wants them both.

3) I wanted to believe at the end of Maddie Hayes got married that they are together. But I always wondered if that was just me projecting! Lol

But in the next episode “Flesh….”there are a few changes in the script that totally confirm that they were together according to the writers. The clean slate speech escalates slightly to David wanting to move in together and I think they backtracked on that story line because they knew they would not be able to tell it correctly because of the writers strike.
These two are so hard to analyze!!
Do you have the script? I would love to see that!

In the hospital scene, I can only imagine what David was thinking when Maddie said they "need to stop hurting each other". I don't think David ever tried to intentionally hurt Maddie. His wrecking her car and sleeping with Rita were things he did in response to being hurt by her, but those things were done assuming she would never know. The only thing I think he did to hurt her was to set up that big wedding to Walter. And I don't think it was so much to hurt her as it was to embarrass her and to make her come to her senses.

But, boy, she sure hurt him.

I think David was right when he said that Maddie didn't know how he felt. So sad. I really feel for him here in this scene.

Also, when I say that Maddie hurt David, I don't think hurting him was ever her intent, but she had to know what she was doing to him. She had to know that her actions were crushing him.

Back