David telling Maddie, "Don't wait up"???

MoonlightingMagic

DID NOT care for this episode. I hated the way Maddie was dressed at the hotel in the pantsuit with ankle highs! So matronly. And what was that about when David told her not to wait up when he was leaving the hotel room with Richie?

Marlena

Probably. Weird joke, though.
I always took that as David telling Maddie not to wait up for him with the car. That she should just take the car and go home because he was going to go walk around with Richie. I don't think he meant wait up, like in the sense of going to bed.

MoonlightingMagic

I always took that as David telling Maddie not to wait up for him with the car. That she should just take the car and go home because he was going to go walk around with Richie. I don't think he meant wait up, like in the sense of going to bed.
But why say wait up and not just take the car?

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
Since this episode follows ISEISFISMN, in which David is guided into Maddie's bedroom at gunpoint and comments that, "It's been a while since I've been invited up here," I think we can assume that less frequent sleepovers were contributing to more frequent sarcasm at this point.

FanofMoonlighting

I just rewatched this scene when he says this to her. He actually sounded serious, and it almost sounded like something someone would say to a person they are living with. When I first watched it I barely even noticed him say it. If he was joking or being sarcastic it wasn't obvious. It was pretty strange.

Davidsmaddie

Hi, I’m late to the party but I wanted to chime in…..

First, Is actually one of the episodes I do like the season.

I was always confused by that line. But, this whole episode they operate like a couple who’s family is in town and they are entertaining them. It’s almost like the writers wrote it generically, like it was independent of the relationship arc. It does sound serious when he says “don’t wait up for me”. Like he’s telling his wife or girlfriend that he lives with.

FanofMoonlighting

Hi, I’m late to the party but I wanted to chime in…..

First, Is actually one of the episodes I do like the season.

I was always confused by that line. But, this whole episode they operate like a couple who’s family is in town and they are entertaining them. It’s almost like the writers wrote it generically, like it was independent of the relationship arc. It does sound serious when he says “don’t wait up for me”. Like he’s telling his wife or girlfriend that he lives with.
That's what I thought too!

Marlena

I still think that since they came in one car, and David knows he's going to go take a walk with Richie, he's just saying to Maddie, "Don't wait up for me (with the car)." If he didn't say that, then when she gets out to the car, she wouldn't know what to do. Does she wait for him, or go home?

alice1804

First, the writing of season 5 was so all over the place it actually gives me whiplash. One minute they are acting like a couple and the next they can't stand the sight of each other. Did the writers never speak to each other?

Second, because of the nature of the writing of season 5, my interpretation of that line is he was gonna stay at Maddie's house that evening and that's why he told her to not wait up. There were some hints that they were still together in some way (David's line about how they used to do it a lot more than now), so that's why I don't think it's a reach to think that he was gonna spend the night at her house.

MoonlightingMagic

First, the writing of season 5 was so all over the place it actually gives me whiplash. One minute they are acting like a couple and the next they can't stand the sight of each other. Did the writers never speak to each other?

Second, because of the nature of the writing of season 5, my interpretation of that line is he was gonna stay at Maddie's house that evening and that's why he told her to not wait up. There were some hints that they were still together in some way (David's line about how they used to do it a lot more than now), so that's why I don't think it's a reach to think that he was gonna spend the night at her house.
Yes because he doesn't say they NEVER do it just not as much as before lol