David, Maddie, and parenthood? Together? In general?

MoonlightingMagic

At this point, Maddie wasn't sure if David was in it for the long haul - she knew he wanted a future with her but would he be happy with the family life that she probably wanted? I think he would have been happy with Maddie and kids! Do you?

At this point, Maddie wasn't sure if David was in it for the long haul - she knew he wanted a future with her but would he be happy with the family life that she probably wanted? I think he would have been happy with Maddie and kids! Do you?
I'll probably get walloped for this, BUT what makes people think Maddie wanted kids? Like, specifically... in the show... what makes people think that about her?

I'm not saying she wouldn't have been a great mom, but I guess I just don't see her as really wanting that. She got pregnant and yes, she was going to have that baby. But I don't know that she would've tried again.

We know now that he would have been happy, but before the pregnancy they never seemed to have discussed anything like this at all.
Maddie also needed to be a bit more mature and discuss things, but maybe she thought that having that 'talk' about their relationship would scare him off? Or she just didn't feel that he was mature enough to discuss their relationship?
Dismally poor communication.

I'll probably get walloped for this, BUT what makes people think Maddie wanted kids? Like, specifically... in the show... what makes people think that about her?

I'm not saying she wouldn't have been a great mom, but I guess I just don't see her as really wanting that. She got pregnant and yes, she was going to have that baby. But I don't know that she would've tried again.
In Blonde on Blonde she got upset when she saw the little kid with her mom. She wanted a family. Even in Twas she realized she wanted a baby - she just didn't think that she would ever have one. And despite my beliefs. Maddie could have done away with an unwanted pregnancy but thankfully that thought never crossed her mind. I actually had an idea for a fanfic about she mentions to David that she isn't sure she wants the baby and he is livid. But I can't write it.

In Blonde on Blonde she got upset when she saw the little kid with her mom. She wanted a family. Even in Twas she realized she wanted a baby - she just didn't think that she would ever have one. And despite my beliefs. Maddie could have done away with an unwanted pregnancy but thankfully that thought never crossed her mind. I actually had an idea for a fanfic about she mentions to David that she isn't sure she wants the baby and he is livid. But I can't write it.
One of the things I love about all of our interaction on the board here is reading how other people saw the show and the characters.

I just watched that scene in BOB you mentioned. I'm assuming you are referring to the food store parking lot. When I watch that scene, I don't think Maddie gets upset when she sees the mother and child because she wants a family. To me, it's more that she's frustrated with herself in that moment for not living on the edge and for not going out to that bar. So when the mother and child turn their backs, she drops her grocery bag in their cart and she is off to the bar.

And in TTEBC, I think her reaction to the baby is more like... awe, he's a cute baby, I like to sing to him... but Agnes seems much more maternal than Maddie does.

To clarify, I think Maddie would've made a wonderful mother. All I'm saying is that I don't think she felt like she needed marriage and children to feel fulfilled in her life. I don't think that, even at 36 years of age, that she felt like she needed to marry and have kids. If she did, why push both David and Sam away? Both would've made great fathers.

I think Maddie was okay with her life the way it was, with the exception of wanting to loosen her chastity belt on that one night. But I do think once she allowed herself to truly fall for David, that's when I think she would've entertained the idea of having a baby. But on the show, we never see her get to that point where she truly accepts that he loves her and she loves him.

The baby that she lost, I do think she very much wanted that baby once she accepted that she was pregnant. Maybe after losing that baby, Maddie might have thought about trying again at some point, but that's where Season 5 fell flat.

One of the things I love about all of our interaction on the board here is reading how other people saw the show and the characters.

I just watched that scene in BOB you mentioned. I'm assuming you are referring to the food store parking lot. When I watch that scene, I don't think Maddie gets upset when she sees the mother and child because she wants a family. To me, it's more that she's frustrated with herself in that moment for not living on the edge and for not going out to that bar. So when the mother and child turn their backs, she drops her grocery bag in their cart and she is off to the bar.

And in TTEBC, I think her reaction to the baby is more like... awe, he's a cute baby, I like to sing to him... but Agnes seems much more maternal than Maddie does.

To clarify, I think Maddie would've made a wonderful mother. All I'm saying is that I don't think she felt like she needed marriage and children to feel fulfilled in her life. I don't think that, even at 36 years of age, that she felt like she needed to marry and have kids. If she did, why push both David and Sam away? Both would've made great fathers.

I think Maddie was okay with her life the way it was, with the exception of wanting to loosen her chastity belt on that one night. But I do think once she allowed herself to truly fall for David, that's when I think she would've entertained the idea of having a baby. But on the show, we never see her get to that point where she truly accepts that he loves her and she loves him.

The baby that she lost, I do think she very much wanted that baby once she accepted that she was pregnant. Maybe after losing that baby, Maddie might have thought about trying again at some point, but that's where Season 5 fell flat.
True! People see things differently! Makes it fun!

Great question. I have to, always, announce my Maddie bias beforehand. Having said that, I think she would have been a great mother, in the same vein as her mom. But, the context of the show matters. Maddie was a liberated '80s woman – the first decade, IMHO, when women really began to have some autonomy with regard to their choices about starting families. My guess - it's a guess – is that Maddie probably wasn't all that interested in kids when the show started, but the notion grew on her. What I don't know is if she thought she could do that with David. I really don't know. My guess (again) is no.

Great question. I have to, always, announce my Maddie bias beforehand. Having said that, I think she would have been a great mother, in the same vein as her mom. But, the context of the show matters. Maddie was a liberated '80s woman – the first decade, IMHO, when women really began to have some autonomy with regard to their choices about starting families. My guess - it's a guess – is that Maddie probably wasn't all that interested in kids when the show started, but the notion grew on her. What I don't know is if she thought she could do that with David. I really don't know. My guess (again) is no.
She did say after she lost the baby that he would have made a great dad but a lousy husband

I think he would have been happy. I think all that good-time playboy stuff was mostly a put-on with David. I don't think she would, though. I don't think Maddie was cut out to be a wife and mother and I don't think she wanted kids. That's not to say that she wouldn't have made a good mother. But Maddie was used to calling her own shots, and she was an only child. I know whereof I speak there. I've said to people, "I'm an only child, and that's the difference between us." You have to be one to really know, and Maddie is a classic only child. GGC, whether by luck or design, really nailed that aspect of her character. Not wanting that sort of domesticity is certainly a trait of mine. I've had people tell me I would have made a great dad, and I think so too, but I never wanted that and I've never regretted it.

I also believe - and this will not be a popular view - that they were not suited to each other in that way. I think they were destined to be close friends with a powerful romantic undercurrent, a sort of forbidden fruit element, but the whole show was built on the things that only underlined how unsuited they were romantically. Strong mutual attraction does not equal destiny. And if Maddie was so exasperated with David in the workplace, just imagine how crazy he would have driven her in the home.

I think it's interesting how one changes their point of view, merely because of at what age you watch this show. When I first saw it at the age of 12, all I could think of was: "Of course David and Maddie should get married. Of course they should have babies. Of course they should play house". Let's face it, that's basically what you think the future entails when you're that young. Now that I'm older, I can appreciate some decisions that Maddie made in her life. She did things differently... she pushed her way to the top... she ran her own life with an iron reign. Whoa, what a gal! I think I can also appreciate how a man like David Addison might not be the safest bet in life and how that made her run for the hills in the process. I think Maddie liked the way she lived and no, that didn't involve marriage or children. What I don't apppreciate, though, is how much she tore the man down in trying to decide what she wanted. I keep talking about the eternal dance that is Moonlighting, but let's face it... she created that dance. She knows that David might not be the man that fits, but she can't let go. Because of that, he also can't let go. They keep each other in eternal limbo like that. But yeah, if Maddie had been given the chance, I do think she would have rocked it as a mother.

I think he would have been happy. I think all that good-time playboy stuff was mostly a put-on with David. I don't think she would, though. I don't think Maddie was cut out to be a wife and mother and I don't think she wanted kids. That's not to say that she wouldn't have made a good mother. But Maddie was used to calling her own shots, and she was an only child. I know whereof I speak there. I've said to people, "I'm an only child, and that's the difference between us." You have to be one to really know, and Maddie is a classic only child. GGC, whether by luck or design, really nailed that aspect of her character. Not wanting that sort of domesticity is certainly a trait of mine. I've had people tell me I would have made a great dad, and I think so too, but I never wanted that and I've never regretted it.

I also believe - and this will not be a popular view - that they were not suited to each other in that way. I think they were destined to be close friends with a powerful romantic undercurrent, a sort of forbidden fruit element, but the whole show was built on the things that only underlined how unsuited they were romantically. Strong mutual attraction does not equal destiny. And if Maddie was so exasperated with David in the workplace, just imagine how crazy he would have driven her in the home.
I'm an only child. I got married but it didn't last but I loved being a mom. Maybe if I had a different husband I would have loved being a wife. I have always called the shots in most of my relationships and most men don't care. I know plenty of people who are not only children and don't want to get married.

I'm an only child. I got married but it didn't last but I loved being a mom. Maybe if I had a different husband I would have loved being a wife. I have always called the shots in most of my relationships and most men don't care. I know plenty of people who are not only children and don't want to get married.
Agreed. But I think we are more conditioned to being comfortable on our own and probably quicker to run away when it's not to our liking. Obviously, we're not all like that, but I think we're more likely to be. I certainly am.

Agreed. But I think we are more conditioned to being comfortable on our own and probably quicker to run away when it's not to our liking. Obviously, we're not all like that, but I think we're more likely to be. I certainly am.
I grew up on the same block as my cousins so I had the best of both worlds. But yes, being an only child taught me to enjoy being alone and to feel like I deserve the best lmaooo (spoiled a bit?) lol

I grew up on the same block as my cousins so I had the best of both worlds. But yes, being an only child taught me to enjoy being alone and to feel like I deserve the best lmaooo (spoiled a bit?) lol
It does that. I had no cousins until I reached adolescence - I still think of them as kids.

Back