Commentary by Glenn Gordon Caron and Jay Daniel

Nala

This episode is also not one of my favourites. It's great that they're trying out a new concept and having Bruce dress up (or down) as a baby, but I can't say I enjoyed that spectacle.
Glenn is quite candid and points out the flaws in his writing, mainly that there's hardly any plot or anything driving the narrative. Also it's a bit gimmicky - the device of using clips from previous episodes was just used a few months back in the Straight Poop. Doing the same thing twice feels stale.
Something that a lot of fans seem to overlook was baby Bruce being upset over his parents fighting. Jerome says (a bit glibly, I feel) that that's just what they do, it doesn't mean that they don't love each other. But to me that's not bantering, that's bickering, and very rightly upsetting to children. I wish that society did not romanticise this kind of fighting. Relationships should not be so hard.
What I loved most in this episode was the sheer happiness in both Maddie's and David's faces as they are together at the baby shower. We didn't often get a chance to see them so happy 💔

Nala

I do need to point out that airing clips from previous episodes in the Straight Poop was wonderful. In the 80's it would have been almost impossible to feast over old episodes, if you hadn't taped them on videotape. So this would have been such a treat for fans!

Last edited:

Marlena

What I loved most in this episode was the sheer happiness in both Maddie's and David's faces as they are together at the baby shower. We didn't often get a chance to see them so happy 💔
To me, Maddie and David never looked happier... together... than they did when they were dancing at that baby shower. I know some people wonder if they ever really got back together... romantically... after Maddie returned home from Chicago. I believe they did, and the reason I believe that is this very scene. The Season 5 backstory I wrote, starting with "Since I Lost My Maddie" begins with Maddie and David being together (as a couple) at the baby shower and then goes on to tell the story of how their relationship deteriorates over the following 6 months. But, yeah, that scene was the best.

Nala

I love your stories. The heartache there is very real. That scene of them dancing together blissfully is so moving. Would it have been so hard for the writers to give us a few episodes of them really trying to make their relationship work?

FanofMoonlighting

I love your stories. The heartache there is very real. That scene of them dancing together blissfully is so moving. Would it have been so hard for the writers to give us a few episodes of them really trying to make their relationship work?
Yes! That would have been great.