Commentary by Bruce Willis and Glenn Gordon Caron

Nala

I think the laundromat date came about because she knocked back all his suggestions, so he dressed it up as something quirky, which is characteristic of David. It was a pattern, if you think about it. In TBOT, they couldn't agree where to go or what to do. Then later on came the fine evening vs the fun evening stuff. They were incompatible and the laundromat date was probably seen by David as being his last chance saloon.
We fans should have seen the writing on the wall

FanofMoonlighting

I didn't mind the scene but I think Glenn was right and David would never have bared his heart like that in front of the staff - and Maddie. The scene with him at her door is the most cringeworthy scene in TV history (for me anyway)! I rewrote this scene many times in my fanfic and always had him say screw this and leave!
When watching it I really thought that by him saying how much he loved her she would see how serious he was and she would be happy about that. I originally thought things would go well for them after that. But instead she left. :(
The fact that Glenn said in the commentary that he wanted the show to end at Season 3 but the network said it had to run until is was really bad makes me think they purposely tried to sabotage the show so it would go off the air.
Also, why did Bruce say in the commentary something like "you just had to tell America that I was in love with Maddie." Did he mean it should have been obvious and there was no need for it to be said, or it wasn't true so he shouldn't have said it?

Nala

When watching it I really thought that by him saying how much he loved her she would see how serious he was and she would be happy about that. I originally thought things would go well for them after that. But instead she left. :(
The fact that Glenn said in the commentary that he wanted the show to end at Season 3 but the network said it had to run until is was really bad makes me think they purposely tried to sabotage the show so it would go off the air.
Also, why did Bruce say in the commentary something like "you just had to tell America that I was in love with Maddie." Did he mean it should have been obvious and there was no need for it to be said, or it wasn't true so he shouldn't have said it?
In the commentary Bruce says that David was in love with Maddie, and that was the whole point of the show.
Maybe he felt that the way he said it was out of character? I liked that scene, it was sweet, but maybe he believed that David needed more assurance from Maddie that she loved him back. 😶

FanofMoonlighting

In the commentary Bruce says that David was in love with Maddie, and that was the whole point of the show.
Maybe he felt that the way he said it was out of character? I liked that scene, it was sweet, but maybe he believed that David needed more assurance from Maddie that she loved him back. 😶
Glad I'm not the only one that liked it! But I do agree, he needed more from Maddie. Unfortunately she wouldn't give it to him until it was too late. :(

northernlight

You beat me to it :) This is exactly my point. I like the scene, because it fits the crazy 'dates' they already went on in the past. There was the dance at the dive bar in the pilot episode and then that horrible date gone wrong at the opera. It adds up, if you think about it. No, as a woman, I would not agree to a date like this. We all want to be wined and dined. But yeah... it's David to a T. He is the 'let's see what happens' guy that Maddie detests so much, but hey, she can't stay away anyway. He could have tried a little harder, yeah. But Maddie knocked back every suggestion, like northernlight says. It was a last resort. Perhaps the laundromat is viewed differently because of the bad turn-out, which is understandable. Trust me, I hate everything that comes after it.

By the way, I love the guilty pleasure reference in regards to David and Maddie, northernlight. It kind of makes me think of my relationship with chocolate. You know you probably shouldn't have it, but it's too damn good to pass it up :ROFLMAO:
It must be pretty awful for them both, Sandra. Maddie is so comfortable in her cocoon, yet part of her wants to break out, while David wants to take life by the throat and enjoy it to the max. I can understand both perspectives. Even though I'm a man, l'm more like Maddie in that I like to play safe in just about everything.

You're probably right about everyone having a dim view of the laundromat date because of how it turned out. I never thought of that.

MoonlightingMagic

David was insecure and hid his emotions. I agree with Glenn that he would never have put his heart on the line like that - and then the next day he has to come in and be scrutinized about the date - "She's learning how to walk again." Really an immature and crude comment even from David

Marlena

Glad I'm not the only one that liked it! But I do agree, he needed more from Maddie. Unfortunately she wouldn't give it to him until it was too late. :(
Judy, you are definitely not the only one who liked that scene. I loved it, and I know I am in the minority here, but I do think it was in character for David to announce his love for Maddie like that. The man was feeling desperate at that time. He was so afraid of losing Maddie after everything she had said to him in the bedroom earlier that morning. Then just before she walks out her front door, he says, "Tell me what you want me to do, and I will do it." He was grasping at straws here. Then, when she thinks he's going to tell everyone that they are sleeping together, he becomes the most vulnerable he can be, and publicly professes his love for her. He didn't think about it, he just did it. I think it makes sense that when someone is feeling desperate, they may do things that are out of character for themselves. I know I've had a moment or two like that in my life. I just think that was one of David's "moments".

FanofMoonlighting

Judy, you are definitely not the only one who liked that scene. I loved it, and I know I am in the minority here, but I do think it was in character for David to announce his love for Maddie like that. The man was feeling desperate at that time. He was so afraid of losing Maddie after everything she had said to him in the bedroom earlier that morning. Then just before she walks out her front door, he says, "Tell me what you want me to do, and I will do it." He was grasping at straws here. Then, when she thinks he's going to tell everyone that they are sleeping together, he becomes the most vulnerable he can be, and publicly professes his love for her. He didn't think about it, he just did it. I think it makes sense that when someone is feeling desperate, they may do things that are out of character for themselves. I know I've had a moment or two like that in my life. I just think that was one of David's "moments".
I agree! I think he was trying whatever he could think of to make her happy.

Quest

I liked how Maddie said “yes” to the date. She looked like she was a teenager getting asked out for first time.

I enjoyed the commentary very much, especially hearing BW say that David loved Maddie. He also said that under the circumstances, David would have put an end to the suffering the relationship was causing him and walked. I think that was true.

Nala

I liked how Maddie said “yes” to the date. She looked like she was a teenager getting asked out for first time.

I enjoyed the commentary very much, especially hearing BW say that David loved Maddie. He also said that under the circumstances, David would have put an end to the suffering the relationship was causing him and walked. I think that was true.
We never once saw David say 'to hell with this, this relationship is too difficult'. Maybe if he had walked it would have brought Maddie to her senses.

MoonlightingMagic

I think any man would have walked when Walter came into the picture.

Nala

I just rewatched this episode and contrary to my earlier opinion, I find it incredible (but very sad). I really feel for both David and Maddie - both of them feel that they are constantly tested and afraid to fail. I also have to admire Maddie when she admits that this relationship is just too hard, and she can't do it. How much better to admit that in an earlier stage of the relationship, instead of trying to work at it and ultimately failing, as so many couples try to do because they are blinded by the romance of the good times. I've been in a couple of hard relationships myself - it hardly ever gets better.

Marlena

I just rewatched this episode and contrary to my earlier opinion, I find it incredible (but very sad). I really feel for both David and Maddie - both of them feel that they are constantly tested and afraid to fail. I also have to admire Maddie when she admits that this relationship is just too hard, and she can't do it. How much better to admit that in an earlier stage of the relationship, instead of trying to work at it and ultimately failing, as so many couples try to do because they are blinded by the romance of the good times. I've been in a couple of hard relationships myself - it hardly ever gets better.
Hi Nala,

It is too funny that you bring up the moment when Maddie tells David, 'If this is love, it's too hard. If this is love, I'll live without it." In the Season 5 background story that I'm currently writing about the Eine Klein Nacht Murder episode, I just wrote a part last night where David reminds Maddie that she said that to him once. So, it comes back to bite her in the butt at a time when she'd really like for him to drop Annie and work his way back to her.... at least in my story it does...

Nala

Hi Nala,

It is too funny that you bring up the moment when Maddie tells David, 'If this is love, it's too hard. If this is love, I'll live without it." In the Season 5 background story that I'm currently writing about the Eine Klein Nacht Murder episode, I just wrote a part last night where David reminds Maddie that she said that to him once. So, it comes back to bite her in the butt at a time when she'd really like for him to drop Annie and work his way back to her.... at least in my story it does...
So I guess now I understand better the part of them being on different rungs of the ladder. I don't begrudge Maddie her doubts and ambivalence, only that she never discussed them with David and tried to end it without making a real and sustained effort to work things out

Marlena

So I guess now I understand better the part of them being on different rungs of the ladder. I don't begrudge Maddie her doubts and ambivalence, only that she never discussed them with David and tried to end it without making a real and sustained effort to work things out
It's hard to know what Maddie really wanted from David because, you're right, she never tells him what she wants. He asks her what she wants, and tells her he will do what she wants, but she never comes through with anything. I don't think she knows what she wants from David.

I do think she wants to be in control. She's been alone her whole life... an only child, no close friends, no long-lasting relationships. Being with David, even though she may be madly in love with him, threatens her ability to have total control over her life.

I think that's why she says, "If this is love, it's too hard. If this is love, I'll live without it." Ultimately, she always chooses to have "control" over "love".

I think if she had given him more of a chance, Maddie would have seen that, with David, she could've had both. As detectives, he worked with her and her controlling ways for three years, all the while falling more and more in love with her.

David just needed to know she loved and wanted him in return. I think, within reason, he was okay with her being controlling.

Spoken by a self-proclaimed control freak over here.

Nala

It's hard to know what Maddie really wanted from David because, you're right, she never tells him what she wants. He asks her what she wants, and tells her he will do what she wants, but she never comes through with anything. I don't think she knows what she wants from David.

I do think she wants to be in control. She's been alone her whole life... an only child, no close friends, no long-lasting relationships. Being with David, even though she may be madly in love with him, threatens her ability to have total control over her life.

I think that's why she says, "If this is love, it's too hard. If this is love, I'll live without it." Ultimately, she always chooses to have "control" over "love".

I think if she had given him more of a chance, Maddie would have seen that, with David, she could've had both. As detectives, he worked with her and her controlling ways for three years, all the while falling more and more in love with her.

David just needed to know she loved and wanted him in return. I think, within reason, he was okay with her being controlling.

Spoken by a self-proclaimed control freak over here.
So to be completely honest I don't really agree with the fans' opinion that Maddie was afraid of being with David because she was afraid of losing control.
From what was said during the Sam arc, she definitely didn't see him as a life partner because sadly and heartbreakingly, he was not her social equal, and at that time of her life, that still mattered a lot to her. She said it loud and clear, 'You're not who I'm supposed to be with.
And another reason is that their relationship is too hard, it's only either ice cold or burning hot. I tend to see their 'bantering' more as bickering or outright fighting, and I don't see it as healthy and I think Maddie felt that.
I do tend to believe what they say. The writers put it there for a reason. And the whole premise of the show is that they are so unsuited for each other, not just in their temperaments, but really also socially and professionally.

Marlena

So to be completely honest I don't really agree with the fans' opinion that Maddie was afraid of being with David because she was afraid of losing control.
From what was said during the Sam arc, she definitely didn't see him as a life partner because sadly and heartbreakingly, he was not her social equal, and at that time of her life, that still mattered a lot to her. She said it loud and clear, 'You're not who I'm supposed to be with.
And another reason is that their relationship is too hard, it's only either ice cold or burning hot. I tend to see their 'bantering' more as bickering or outright fighting, and I don't see it as healthy and I think Maddie felt that.
I do tend to believe what they say. The writers put it there for a reason. And the whole premise of the show is that they are so unsuited for each other, not just in their temperaments, but really also socially and professionally.
Right, but then why not choose Sam? Yes, David was making things difficult for Maddie and Sam, but had Maddie really wanted to marry him, she at least would've fought harder for it.

Plus, I'm sure by the time Maddie got to be 36 years old, she had plenty of opportunities to meet, date and settle down with a man who was her social equal. And she didn't.

The 'bantering'.... to me that's their 'foreplay'....

And didn't Glenn recently say... why bring these two people together if they aren't going to end up being together?

And isn't the premise of the show that Maddie and David were different, like the sun and the moon, but eventually, they will share one space. It says it right there in the theme song lyrics.

I think the purpose of their story was that these two very different people could change over time and find love with each other.

Nala

Right, but then why not choose Sam? Yes, David was making things difficult for Maddie and Sam, but had Maddie really wanted to marry him, she at least would've fought harder for it.

Plus, I'm sure by the time Maddie got to be 36 years old, she had plenty of opportunities to meet, date and settle down with a man who was her social equal. And she didn't.

And didn't Glenn recently say... why bring these two people together if they aren't going to end up being together?

And isn't the premise of the show that Maddie and David were different, like the sun and the moon, but eventually, they will share one space. It says it right there in the theme song lyrics.

I think the purpose of their story was that these two very different people could change over time and find love with each other.
She was attracted to David like no other man before, and none of the men she'd met before interested and challenged her like David. She was confused, but when she rejected Sam it was because realistically, she knew she couldn't make it work.

Nala

I do believe they could have made it work, but they weren't open enough and vulnerable enough with each other.

Marlena

I do believe they could have made it work, but they weren't open enough and vulnerable enough with each other.
And I think they were getting better at communicating after Maddie returned from Chicago. I'm referring to the scene in the hospital after Terri gives birth when Maddie apologizes and tells David she loves him. And as for David, he tells her how he feels in ATFWMW, when he sits her down in her desk chair and essentially puts her in her place. The Season 4 writers were on the right track with that.

But the Season 5 writers... 🤬

They write that the main characters lose their baby, don't ever talk about it, then send them off on a hot air balloon chase!?!