Bruce Willis in 'Red'

Sandra

So I took a page out of Marlena's book and absorbed myself in Bruce Willis movies. Luckily, they aired one a couple of nights ago that I hadn't seen yet. Go figure...but hey, I barely saw any of the work he did after the change of the millenium. Something about him not making fantastic movies after 1999 ;)

I was therefore pleasantly surprised by 'Red', in which he finally showed a sense of humor again. I seriously cracked up when he was on a screwed up semi-blind date in the movie and the woman snapped at him, saying: "Yeah well, I was hoping you'd have hair! We can't always get what we want!" So funny! My husband joined me in watching the movie after he heard me laughing and he liked it as well. His favorite quote from the film is "I am getting the pig!" You have to see it to know what it's about. It was hilarious.

Of course, it didn't match up to his acting on Moonlighting, but I finally saw him unscrew that jaw of his again in a movie. It made me smile. And guess what... they're airing 'Red 2' tonight. Though, I doubt it will be as good as the first one. No sequel ever is... all though I still prefer 'Die Hard With A Vengeance' over 'Die Hard'. But that's just me.

Boink

Administrator
Staff member
I finally saw him unscrew that jaw of his again in a movie.
I am happy to hear such a moment exists, so thank you for sharing this! You have perfectly summarized my main issue with the last 2-3 decades of BW onscreen. It's like David Addison used up all of his joy... 😟

I guess we should just be thankful the joy lasted as long as it did, but even though BW's career overall has been phenomenal, I still find the situation strangely disheartening.

essed

Has anyone watched Cop Out? There is supposed to be a line/scene that Kevin Smith directed BW to deliver like David so I’ve always been curious if it was worth watching.

Sandra

Has anyone watched Cop Out? There is supposed to be a line/scene that Kevin Smith directed BW to deliver like David so I’ve always been curious if it was worth watching.
I've only watched the specific scene itself, since the movie doesn't appeal to me. I guess I somewhat felt it. When Bruce gets close to unclenching that jaw and actually having a little fun with it, I always feel it. It's that flutter inside that tells me I see the ghost of the actor I developed a crush on all those years ago, if only for a fleeting moment. I fluttered quite a bit during 'Red', and yes, even during 'Red 2'. It has nothing to do with his age, whether he is 32 or 72. When he gets to that stage where he's letting go, he's hot. Always.
You see Bruce softening a bit during the scene in 'Cop Out'. So yes, that does make you think about David.

Marlena

I watched "Red" last night and "Red 2" tonight. I was pleasantly surprised. I really liked them both. I actually think I preferred the sequel. Maybe because I knew more about the characters. I felt like I could see a little bit of "David" coming through at times definitely. I really liked BW in these two movies. And the rest of the cast was great, too. I give both "Red" and "Red 2" a 👍.