Blaming the writers

Maddie sounds so cold and mean when she tells him she's married and the baby isn't his - She has no reason to be mean and spiteful toward David!
I agree with you totally. She didnt even try to break it to him gently. I know Maddie could have her moments when she was quite cold and rude with David. However, this moment to me was the writers fault. They wrote her out of character. I dont think that given the time she had been away, and all the soul searching she had done in that time, that Maddie would have said it like that to him. Because that was huge important news, its not in Maddies nature to dump something like that as if it didnt matter. It mattered to her, and she knew it would matter to David.

I agree with you totally. She didnt even try to break it to him gently. I know Maddie could have her moments when she was quite cold and rude with David. However, this moment to me was the writers fault. They wrote her out of character. I dont think that given the time she had been away, and all the soul searching she had done in that time, that Maddie would have said it like that to him. Because that was huge important news, its not in Maddies nature to dump something like that as if it didnt matter. It mattered to her, and she knew it would matter to David.
Yes! And marrying Walter was way out of character.

Maddie, as written up to that point, would never have married Walter, and as has been stated by many on this board and others, there is no way she could have known David was not the father. The sexual encounters were too close together.

I would imagine women were screaming this at their tv sets back then. The writers definitely do not know anything about conception. lol

Maddie, as written up to that point, would never have married Walter, and as has been stated by many on this board and others, there is no way she could have known David was not the father. The sexual encounters were too close together.

I would imagine women were screaming this at their tv sets back then. The writers definitely do not know anything about conception. lol
EXACTLY!!!! And yes screaming loudly!!!!

I just read the script that Sean kindly shared, and the ending.... is so much more believable than what Glenn gave us. It was the ending fans wanted. It's infuriating to think the writers actually did think of a decent ending, but Glenn decided... to do what he did. Did he think that he was being really clever and original?
I think it's too bad that Cybill is blamed for everything that went wrong with the show. Getting Maddie married to a stranger was the real deal-breaker for the show, and for Maddie and David's relationship.

I just read the script that Sean kindly shared, and the ending.... is so much more believable than what Glenn gave us. It was the ending fans wanted. It's infuriating to think the writers actually did think of a decent ending, but Glenn decided... to do what he did. Did he think that he was being really clever and original?
I think it's too bad that Cybill is blamed for everything that went wrong with the show. Getting Maddie married to a stranger was the real deal-breaker for the show, and for Maddie and David's relationship.
But I do wonder why this script had Walter in it, if they weren't planning to give him a big role?
On the whole I think the filmed episode is better than the script, except for the "I'm married".

Maybe Glenn's bringing Walter into the picture was his way of creating yet another obstacle in their relationship. He may have thought of it as just a way to keep the show moving forward and keeping it interesting. But, ultimately, if he thought he was being clever, he's wrong, wrong, wrong! It came off as heartless. Maybe he did it to stick it to Cybill. Who knows? But, yes, in this case the writers absolutely had it right! Wish Glenn had just went with that.

But I do wonder why this script had Walter in it, if they weren't planning to give him a big role?
On the whole I think the filmed episode is better than the script, except for the "I'm married".
I think the writers may have put Walter in the storyline simply as a character for Maddie to bounce her ideas/thoughts off of while traveling... so that we, the viewer, would know what she's thinking and feeling. He's the NSM here, so she would be comfortable talking with him, but ultimately not find him interesting enough to ever be involved with him. She should have said goodbye to Walter, walked off that train and gone straight to see David.

I have to wonder though. If this is how the episode was supposed to end, what would happen next? I hate the Walter story, so I would have loved this ending instead. But what were the writers planning for the future of David and Maddie, if Walter wasn't in the original plan? And when I say original plan I don't mean the plan from the very beginning, but the plan they may have had while writing this episode.

I have to wonder though. If this is how the episode was supposed to end, what would happen next? I hate the Walter story, so I would have loved this ending instead. But what were the writers planning for the future of David and Maddie, if Walter wasn't in the original plan? And when I say original plan I don't mean the plan from the very beginning, but the plan they may have had while writing this episode.
Well, with or without Walter, the next big thing that happened was Maddie losing the baby. Sadly, I'm assuming at some point, that became the plan... to have Maddie lose the baby so they could go back to just being detectives who flirt with each other. Sad. 😔 So sad, such a missed opportunity for the characters to really deal with their emotions and feelings for each other.

I have said this many times: I think Dennis Dugan did such a great job with this thankless character. And I think his Fourth Wall break in ATFWMW was the best one of the whole series. But I have wondered: would Walter Bishop have "worked" better on the show if he'd been played by, say, a Kevin Kline or someone like that? Someone who could have gotten all the comedy out of the character while being a more legit physical rival for David to play off of, or to be more believably attractive to Maddie? I know GC loved Dugan's original audition, so maybe he wanted to get him on the show somehow.

I have said this many times: I think Dennis Dugan did such a great job with this thankless character. And I think his Fourth Wall break in ATFWMW was the best one of the whole series. But I have wondered: would Walter Bishop have "worked" better on the show if he'd been played by, say, a Kevin Kline or someone like that? Someone who could have gotten all the comedy out of the character while being a more legit physical rival for David to play off of, or to be more believably attractive to Maddie? I know GC loved Dugan's original audition, so maybe he wanted to get him on the show somehow.
You're right, if they wanted to get Maddie married to a stranger, why not make him a "tall, dark and handsome" stranger while they're about it? Walter was just another version of the Pat Boone character, who Maddie didn't want.
All in all, just a way to make the audience hate Maddie.
Side note: I actually like Walter a lot.

Back