Bert or Burt?

Ryan K. Michaels

Administrator
Staff member
So, his name is Herbert, and most of the DVD subtitles and ML fanfction spell it "Bert." (I'm not sure about the scripts.)

But then... like so many other things screwed up by season 5, "In 'N Outlaws" (which I otherwise love) had to go and show us this...

INO-agnes-burt-doormat.jpg

I'm torn between my OCD, which demands that I go on a "find and replace" rampage, and my personal preference, which suggests that I submit an "Available Concept" for a story in which Bert receives a misspelled custom doormat from someone he so respects (and whom should really know better) that he dares not correct it. Perhaps MacGilicuddy could receive one that is spelled correctly, adding even greater insult to Bert's injury. The possibilities are endless.

What to do? What to do?

Does anyone know of any OS evidence supporting "Bert"? What are everyone's thoughts, if any, on this matter of utmost importance?

So, his name is Herbert, and most of the DVD subtitles and ML fanfction spells it "Bert." (I'm not sure about the scripts.)

But then... like so many other things screwed up by season 5, "In 'N Outlaws" (which I otherwise love) had to go and show us this...

View attachment 265

I'm torn between my OCD, which demands that I go on a "find and replace" rampage, and my personal preference, which suggests that I submit an "Available Concept" for a story in which Bert receives a misspelled custom doormat from someone he so respects (and whom should really know better) that he dares not correct it. Perhaps MacGilicuddy could receive one that is spelled correctly, adding even greater insult to Bert's injury. The possibilities are endless.

What to do? What to do?

Does anyone know of any OS evidence supporting "Bert"? What are everyone's thoughts, if any, on this matter of utmost importance?
why would Herbert be called Burt and not Bert. Do the doormat mistake lol

Just for the record, the DVD subtitles seem to heavily favor "Bert." It varies from one episode to the next, however...
burt-bert.jpg

I didn't get a chance to go through all of the scripts, but here's what I found so far...

Burt - "Yours, Very Deadly", "Come Back Little Shiksa", "Take a Left at the Altar", "A Tale of Two Cities", "Take My Wife, For Example"

Herb - "Sam & Dave"

Bert - "Maddie's Turn To Cry"

I didn't get a chance to go through all of the scripts, but here's what I found so far...

Burt - "Yours, Very Deadly", "Come Back Little Shiksa", "Take a Left at the Altar", "A Tale of Two Cities", "Take My Wife, For Example"

Herb - "Sam & Dave"

Bert - "Maddie's Turn To Cry"
That's so interesting that it changes. I wonder if it had to do with who wrote the script?
I'm jealous that you have so many. I've only been able to find a few for sale.

Herb - "Sam & Dave"
Herb? Really?

Thank you to those who are helping me get to the bottom of this. It's comforting to know I'm not alone in my obsession. That his name was spelled "Burt" in the script for his very first appearance ("Yours, Very Deadly") and most of the season 4 episodes in which he shared the spotlight with David carries much weight in supporting the accuracy of the "smoking gun" doormat.

Still, Marlena did find one script so far in which his name was spelled "Bert", and I wonder if there are more. I'm not quite ready to let go of "Bert" or the idea of a misspelled doormat just yet. I've even come up with what I think is a great idea of how such a story could end.

Dumb that they'd spell it Burt if his name was Herbert!
Seems like they figured that out on-screen after his first few episodes, at least up until the doormat. "Burt" may be more popular in the scripts examined thus far (final script score to be determined), but "Bert" won out 6-2 in the opening credits before Curtis Armstrong achieved well-deserved headliner status in season 4. (NOTE: He was uncredited in "Yours, Very Deadly" and "Sam & Dave.")

"All Creatures Great and... Not So Great"
Burt-ACGANSG.jpg

"Atomic Shakespeare"
Bert-AS.jpg

"It's a Wonderful Job"
Burt-IAWJ.jpg

"The Straight Poop"
Bert-TSP.jpg

"Poltergeist III--- DiPesto Nothing"
Bert-P3DN.jpg

"Blonde on Blonde"
Bert-BOB.jpg

"Maddie's Turn to Cry"
Bert-MTTC.jpg

"I Am Curious... Maddie"
Bert-IACM.jpg

With the evidence showing no clear consensus amongst Original Series creators as to how "Bert"/"Burt" should be spelled, I have now introduced the Available Concept "Vowel Play" to settle the matter. Like most of the Available Concepts I have submitted, I may eventually write this story myself, if no other author claims it beforehand.

Back